Purchasing land and available conservation programs

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Purchasing land and available conservation programs

Postby lakewaydr50 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 am

I've been dreaming of owning my own duck hunting property for a while and have a place in mind. The property I am looking at is good for nothing but duck hunting because it is mostly water/flooded cypress/tupelo gum brake. DU has a wildlife easement plan, but I am wondering what other incentives are out there to encourage a person to go ahead and make the leap; government grants and programs, grants from other wildlife orgs. that sort of thing....? The prospective property would be turned into an oasis for ducks as well as a place to hunt. It is also big enough to allow me to lease part of it out to guides or other hunters. There is also timber that could be harvested but I would not want to do that if it were going to effect the migratory waterfowl in a negative way.This could be made into a year round refuge for wood ducks as well.
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
lakewaydr50
hunter

Re: Purchasing land and available conservation programs

Postby Going the Distance » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:53 am

Purchasing your own land for conservation is great. Although I would be careful in what you allow some programs to due. I own some property that borders a refuge and was confronted a few years back by the game and fish about a conservation project. To sum it up they wanted to put in a concrete levee within the refuge that would flood the refuge permanently and about 13 acres on my side. This refuge has Cyprus, Tupelo, and beautiful pin oaks. I had seen this done before in another refuge and it completely destroyed it. So I offered to plant pin oaks instead and they refused. About six months ago they digressed there mission on flooding the refuge this due to the impact on the environment. I'm not saying that conservation programs are bad I would just do my research on every aspect of any that you consider.
Going the Distance
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology