Flooded Timber

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Flooded Timber

Postby astrobud311 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 am

Hey guys looking for a few suggestions here. I have the opportunity to lease 54 acres of land for duck hunting. The land backs up to a small river and the majority of the land is flooded timber. My question is what can be done in flooded timber to attract more ducks. The guy that owns the property said there are tons of wood ducks in there and some mallards and other puddlers. The flooded timber is naturally flooded from the river and the river is very slow moving, like barely at all unless it floods. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I kinda need to pull the trigger on this soon. Thanks again.
Here are a couple pictures of the property.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Re: Flooded Timber

Postby duckbio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 am

You can contact the local DU biologist and they will help you out for free. If there are already ducks using it, I would say it is good to go by itself. Might want to check and see how many mast producing trees are there and what kind of shape they are in. You could do a Timber Stand Improvement and thin out some of the smaller, weaker trees. For that, I would contact the Game and Fish department and they might have a Forester that could come out and mark trees for you to remove. I think it would be a good lease, depending on how much the guy wants for it. On 54 acres, you could put up 2 or 3 wood duck boxes, not mandatory since they are already using the area.

Another thing is, does the area hold water during the waterfowl season on its own, or it that something you have to find a way to do.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for the tips Bio, I haven't personally seen the property so I'm not sure what Kind of trees are there. The property owner said that the small river can flood pretty easily and that there's no way to control the water levels but that there are some high spots on the property. With the water level so unpredictable I wasn't sure if there was anything I could plant in some open holes to attract some more ducks in there. I definitely plan on putting in a couple wood duck boxes for sure. I'm hoping to get out there and take a good look at the property to see the potential. Thanks again I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Beach, VA
astrobud311
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 pm

You could try some rice, the wet variety, in shallow water areas that can get sunlight, as well as Jap Millet along the banks, where the ground stays wet and on any mud flats that can get sunlight. Rice is kinda pricey and stinks like hell! Japanese millet is kinda cheap and would be worth a try if the conditions are right. The rice usually comes with weights to sink it to the bottom or requires you to add nails to it to sink it. Don't spill any in your truck or car!!!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the tips guys!! I really need to check the property out real good to see what I have to work with.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Beach, VA
astrobud311
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 pm

You need to clear a hole for the ducks to land in. If you can get a 50 ft diameter hole in the tree canopy the birds will be more likely to come down
duckman27
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:57 pm

i would plant the Japanese Millet. i know a few groups of people who do it and it comes up really well and the ducks love it. i would plant some along the banks and check for low spots or places that may flood in the future that you could hunt and plant it there
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby Kellenmo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm

I would see if you could clear a hole in the timber to make it easier for the ducks to land in. Then just hunt the hole according to the wind. Millet and smart weed would make the place that much better if you could plant something.
Kellenmo
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology