Sago?????

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Sago?????

Postby chinaboy cotter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I've never hunted around it, is it as good a duck food as I hear? Is it easy to grow? And how will it do in my area, central NC? Thanx for any input.
chinaboy cotter
hunter

Re: Sago?????

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

You should have no problem growing it in NC if you can afford to buy it. It is generally sold as tubers and the are in the $80 to $90 per lb. range. It will grow as long as it can receive sunlight (12 t0 30 inches) and as long as you don't have any grass carp in the pond, as they love it.

Wild rice may be another alternative. It's shipped wet (for planting in ponds) and is cheaper, but it's an annual. Only about $7-$8 a lb and needs sunlight as well.

Millet (Jap) is the cheapest...won't germinate under water but if you have a way of exposing some mud flats (dropping down the elevation of the pond, you could just broadcast it on the exposed soil, let it mature and raise the water back up in the fall/winter for the ducks.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby SALLY » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Check out Tunner seed rice is 60 cent a pound
Last edited by SALLY on Wed May 04, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SALLY
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue May 03, 2011 12:43 pm

if you have a palce you can control water level ie drain all the way and then flood when you like, drain it down and do a soil test before you plant sago. Get the soil right with lime and fertilizer and then flood 12 to 18". Wildlife nurseries has good sago tubers that are easy to plant. It should do well but you ened to maintain that 12 to 18" depth if possible. My goal is to have a sago impoundment one day. they can hold alot of birds and if it is near the coast can be great, especially for early teal and october season.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology