transplanting duckweed

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

transplanting duckweed

Postby woodduckhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:34 pm

This season, I killed my limit of gadwalls four times that I hunted a small pothole that was solid duckweed. If I transplanted the duckweed, would it begin to grow in new areas and reproduce?
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:19 pm

I would LOVE to know the same thing. Ive got a spot that is almost solid floating duckweed. I dont know how that stuff gets to growin since its not even attacted to the ground at all. The area that has it is covered up and we're trying to start our own duck pond and I would like to transfer it.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:14 pm

it should. Never hurts to try. I would think, from previous transplanting experience, that this is the time of year to do the transplanting or should we say, transfloating. I believe it is like many aquatic plants that it is not attached in anyway.
Now, as far as around these parts, Duckweed only grows in cypress swamps, so if you plant it in an open water area, it may not grow.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:46 am

The place we see it all over the place is in about 30 acres of flooded out creek bed that is FULL of buckbrush and other dead trees and stuff. Its just floating EVERYWHERE in there. Along with smartweed. I am trying to transplant both.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Swamprat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:59 am

Ha, most people transplant it accidentally between ponds/lakes on waders/boats, etc. Ducks move it along themselves too...in a variety of ways :getdown:

If the water quality is decent and you don't have an algae issue in the "new" pond, the duckweed should take off in 1 season. Scoop it up with a minnow net, dump it in a bucket with holes to PARTIALLY drain the bucket (gotta keep it wet though), and just dump it into the new lake.

Of course, all of this would be happening only on your own private property!
Swamprat
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology