Parts of Texas aint looking good

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Parts of Texas aint looking good

Postby SALLY » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 am

My rice and millet are looking bad account of no rain . If we don't get any before duck season things aint gonna be too good . Lot of the places I hunt are bone dry . My pond I leave deks out are sitting on dry ground
SALLY
hunter

Re: Parts of Texas aint looking good

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 am

That sucks. I heard they banned most fireworks down there. We have been lucky with rain. Finished planting some jap millet last night right after a huge storm and right before the next storm. The low spot in our pond went from no water on tuesday to 6 inches yesterday. Got the millet and the fert down last night so only time will tell. Good luck with the rain. Hopefully you will get some before too long.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby SALLY » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Boy your lucky and theres no rain in the forcast for us either . Things are worst I've seen it in my life. Lot of the place I hunt are bone dry . We do have plenty of dove here though
SALLY
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 am

I'm sure it's not even comparable, but we had a good try spell in my area, But finally gotten a few much needed thunder showers. The groceries are smiling yet again. Good luck guys!
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Yeah my gf thinks i am crazy watching the weather. Not only do I have to worry about water for ducks/doves (food plots, enough water to flood, etc) but i am a landscape contractor so rain is crucial. She gets all worked up saying I check too much and why do I always look and get mad when it doesnt rain etc etc. She wont ever understand.
Checked the millet I planted on wednesday and the seed coat has already broken on most with the primary root starting to show. Should be nice and green before too long. I will post pics in the next week or two.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby SALLY » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

I live in the center part of Texas and I can't remember the last rain we had . My water bill just keeping my yard from dying is higher than my electric. There showing 105 temps for next week
SALLY
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am

Amarillo has had 1 1/2" of rain since Jan, normal is 9 1/2". All Playas are bone dry. Probably means only Crane hunting this year. Ned S the young 82 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology