planting rice and japanese millet in areas flooded by tides

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

planting rice and japanese millet in areas flooded by tides

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:48 pm

I am located in south carolina. i am interested in planting rice and japanese millet in a swamp located on my property. this area is fed by a tidal river. during high tide the water may rise as much as 6 inches over the area and it is nothing but boggy mud during low tide. does anyone know if the constant rise and fall of the tide will have a negative effect on planting rice and millet?
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:41 pm

I could definatly be wrong on this. But I believe that if anything it would provide a positive effect on it. How often does the water come up and down? If it is too often then it might not ever give it chance to start growing. Once it is started though is should be helpful. Please somebody correct me if im wrong. Hope that helps a lil.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

thanks for your reply

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks for sending me the reply. the area goes from peak high tide to dead low tide roughly every six hours. the depth of the water just depends on how much rain we have received in the area or up river.
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

planting

Postby marshwhacker » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:45 am

i was wonderin the same thing except im in texas and i wanted to plant something that could work with our tides
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:49 am

The biggest question is will these things grow in the salt /brackish water muck?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

planting

Postby marshwhacker » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 am

i dont know about millet but i'm pretty sure rice will
marshwhacker
hunter

Re: planting rice and japanese millet in areas flooded by tides

Postby Christensen » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 am

Has anyone tried and did it work? How about salt or brackish water?
Christensen
Newb

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 13, 2011 8:34 am

what type of water is it?? salt, brackish, fresh??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby JoCoShooter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Im currently obtaining a marine biology degree at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and although i have not finished the four year degree (one more to go) i may be able to provide assistance. More than likely if your swamp is controlled by tidal waters then it will be some sort of brackish or salt water which has an extreme effect on the growth of plants. This means that osmosis will take place drawing water from the plant killing the roots and eventually the plant as a whole. Some plant species are suitable for this kind of condition but not most. Also, these bogs typically have extreme pH levels which will once again have drastic effects on the growth as well. Liming and other nutrients will need to be added and are going to be difficult to work into the soil since tidal waters will wash them away. Furthermore, the tide itself will be a huge factor in initial plant groth as stated by CrackerJackShot. With the waer levels rising and dropping seeds will wash away and those that stay will struggle to establish adequate roots for plant support. Im not saying that this is not possible but it will take some work. Good luck and let me know how things turn out
JoCoShooter
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 am

Try Wigeon or eel grass. Pricey, but tolerant to those conditions.

Erich
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Spottail » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Tidal doesn't necessarily mean the water is brackish.
Here in SC, our rivers are affected by tides well past the salt line.
Salt and freshwater have different densities.
Our intruding salt water (at high tide) pushes our freshwater back up the river, giving a full, freshwater fluctuation.
We don't have bogs, like other areas of the country.
The area this guy is speaking of is probably an old rice field that has grown up, giving him the impression of a swamp.
While many of our ancient rice fields have been restored for waterfowl hunting, we still have plenty abandoned. These fields have been growing cypress trees for over 200 years and are basically diked impoundments. His dikes have been broken for a while, allowing them to be affected by the high tides.
Eel grass, nor widgeon grass will survive here because both are submerged aquatics and need constant water to survive.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology