Anyone who gets a chance to do this

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Anyone who gets a chance to do this

Postby blueyed-goof » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am

I highly recommend it. I went out wood duck banding with a biologist down south FL. Folk who aren't aware, duck banding down here is done first by collecting the birds and then banding them all at one time. Jamie (the biologist) drives the boat and spotlights the ducks and then a friend and I collected the birds. Here I am, in the middle of a gator infested marsh (and I mean INFESTED...it looked like a christmas tree lighting up in some of the canals when we shot the light down them), half my body hanging out the boat zipping through the night with the airboat at full throttle sometimes as I snatch the birds off the water and very occassionally out of the air. Talk about a rush!

beginning of the night

We ended up having a jail break in the holding pen since I think that I put my foot through the side so we ended up having to put the ducks in the big laundry bags. We ended the night with three bags full of ducks

I got to be teh record keeper after we were back at the ramp while Jamit got personal with each of the ducks checking sex, age and molting or not.

We ended the night with 90 ducks (88 wood ducks and 2 mottled ducks), 88 new bands and 2 recaptures (both wood ducks).

Sooooooo for anyone who gets the chance to do it, I very highly recommend it. What a lot of fun it was!!

Dani
blueyed-goof
hunter

Re: Anyone who gets a chance to do this

Postby troutbum43 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:29 am

Banding is always a blast, I was lucky enough to get paid to do it for a month straight up in Saskatchewan last year. Hope I can go back in future years! You really learn your ins and outs of ID'ing bird age by their plumage, feather tracts, sex organs etc.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby blueyed-goof » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 am

A month of it sure would be fun. I know I learned a lot in just that one night. It was as interesting as it was fun...
blueyed-goof
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Thats awesome.

I got to do mark-recapture with beans :rolleyes:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 am

Lol yeah we did that one too in school not quite as exciting :no:
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Just did a mark-recapture with grasshoppers a week or two ago at school. Not nearly as cool as getting to work with DU on the prairie last year....but getting outside is always good. I sort of helped the PGC on a black duck banding trip last spring, but our traps were empty that day. Anybody that gets the chance to participate in a pheasant flushing survey....that's a blast also.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby jlee28 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:42 pm

looks like a great experience. thanks for sharing! i've always wondered how they caught the ducks for banding! :beer:
jlee28
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology