What to do

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What to do

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 am

Our 6 acre impoundment has taken a beating this year. We have lost atleast an acre to 1 1/2 acres to bears/deer and with this hurricane 80% has been knocked over. My bro, Dad and I are debating on what to do. I say we leave it as it is and hunt the larger areas that the bears have knocked to the ground(up to 1/4 acres size hole). We also are talking about harvesting 16 rows in the middle the length of the impoundment to open it up so birds can get in easier. I think we can get birds in it with the corn still in there. Any thoughts?? In years past we have harvested about 24 rows in the middle and 8 to 16 on the north end to open it up with pretty good success. I know people who dont cut any at all and I am thinking this may be the way to go. Just curios and wanna see peoples opinions. Last year we killed mostly wood ducks with a decent number teal and ring necks and some widgeon, mallards and blacks. Thanks.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: What to do

Postby Eschutz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Cut a smaller hole than normal opposite the bear/deer damaged area and let the birds guide the rest of your actions.

Disclaimer - I ain't no expert, greenhorn at best.
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Re: What to do

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Yea we are gonna discuss and make the call soon. Also gonna flood later than last year to save what food we can.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology