Kill a crow save a duck

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Kill a crow save a duck

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 am

Read this on another fourm and thought it was interesting.

Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was "Kill a crow, Save a duck". At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:58 am

that's pretty interesting. do you have a publication reference? I'ld like to read a little more about it.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:08 am

We actually have a crow season here in Colorado and its over. Even though they should be considered pests and non-game.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Captain16 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:47 am

I think I will go get me some crows today!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Killing Crows

Postby WI_Trapper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:00 am

If you would like more info on crow hunting go to www.crowbusters.com

If I could shoot better, I'd kill more :laughing:
Last edited by WI_Trapper on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WI_Trapper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 pm

Crow season is closed for us also. We didnt use to have a crow/blackbird/cowbird season, and I dont really understand why they started one. As Citori said they are pests and should be considered non game.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Crow season in Ohio is pretty much alwasy open. I'll take any shot I can get at them
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:00 pm

for those who want info on crow hunting and other things crow related, check out

www.crowbusters.com
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:49 pm

And yall should really read those recipes while your there. Its really not much different from duck meat.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:00 pm

I just bought an owl deke. Gonna give 'em some trouble this weekend!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:05 pm

smackaduck wrote:And yall should really read those recipes while your there. Its really not much different from duck meat.

No way man.....When people ask you how you like your crow they don't mean literally. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Crow hunting rocks... me and my buddies go about once a month later on in the year, about 6-8 people about 2-8 trash bag decoys and electronic crow call. The best day we killed around 60 out of 6 people so... 10ea not too bad. O-yeh we got two hay bail blinds too.

For some reason here in Arkansas we cant hunt them on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Who knows

Oh-yea reason there is a SEASON is because there a migratory bird, which means there federally protected. So u can only hunt them so many days of the year. Like 120-130 something likes that. So if your state does not recognize it as a season the its prob. closed all year long. And if im not mistaken, you can legally Kill them if there, on agricultural land, (which includes my garden, and 2,000 acre farm beside my house) messing with livestock (includes my pasture) collecting in large numbers, (which u can say they was doing) or about to land in your shade tree (love the old laws) :mrgreen:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 pm

No seasons here in Canada we can blast them all year. In the spring when they return to nest is the best time. They get real raunchy and protect thier breeding grounds and put a big hate on for hawks and owls. On a good full days hunt we kill over a 100 between 2 or 3 hunters. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:44 pm

tons of em here, but theres allot of ravens also, which are protected of course.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby playaxplorer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:06 am

TX doesnt have a season on them, but you may kill them if they are damaging property and/or crops.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby Blueross » Sat May 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Crows are evil. They are egg eaters and can be killed out of season under federal depredation laws. If they are in the act of dedpredation on a nesting bird they can be shot. Search the internet for this federal law. Crows are know to be a problem with Mallards nesting in Mallard Houses.
Blueross
hunter

Postby Young Canadian Gun » Tue May 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Yeah were the lucky ones up here eh Jim. I don't like to go hunting them in the spring even though they are pest they have a famaily to feed. But if i have the chance i will take them.
Young Canadian Gun
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:57 am

we have a season on them here in AK providing you either eat them or use them for clothes.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology