salt marsh nesting for black ducks

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

salt marsh nesting for black ducks

Postby JoeP » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:05 pm

I just bought four acres of salt marsh. Since the number of black ducks
is much lower than the past years I was thinking that since I have the
land maybe there is a way that I can make a nesting site for the blacks.
I have been surfing the net to see if there is a nest box that they would
use, or is there a way that I could make a hay pile that they would nest on?, I have had no luck. I guess they would nest on old beaver dens? A man from the fish and game said that they have built den looking piles and they were never used by the blacks. I have heard that they have used tree cavitys, same man said that blacks have never took to a nest box that he knows of. This man is a waterfowl biologist and he has no
answers for me. Black ducks are starting to get over run by mallards
and they are also crossing with each other creating hybrids. Is there
anyone out there that has an idea? I know that natural nest on the marsh
are not that successful because the timing has to be perfect with the high lunar tides. To let you guys know this marsh does get flooded during a full moon tide. Sometimes by a foot or two on a twelve foot tide. Thanks for all info.

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:47 pm

Congrats on the new marsh purchase. :thumbsup:
If you find a way to encourage black duck nesting success than you will solve a big issue facing the black duck.Recently a marsh here in Maine was altered to help increase the number a pools in the marsh to help out black duck nesting.Other than habitat improvements I don't know of any methods that can be used to target black duck population increases.I guess they are a tough duck to cater to on this subject.
I have wondered if the Hen Houses that Delta waterfowl uses to help nesting mallards would be of any help to blacks?All they are is wire roll with old carpet lining the interior forming a tube that the hen nests in.Its mounted on a pipe with a guard to keep it secure from ground predators.If mallards use them I would think Blacks could too but I just don't find any info about it.
If you come up with anything Joe let us know.Sound like a real worthwhile project.
I spend a lot of time in Mass and might be able to lend a hand if you need it :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JoeP » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:41 am

How is it going Dogman :salude: It is funny that you brought up the rolls of wire that Delta uses for hen houses for Mallards, I was wondering the same thing. I spoke to a waterfowl biologist for Mass Wildlife and he stated that they have set these nest up and down the coast with not much success with black ducks. However
the Mallards seem to take right to them quickly.
It would be nice to think of a way to target Black ducks. As you know there numbers are low and they cross breed with Mallards creating
hybrids. It seems that even the biologist are somewhat at a loss when it comes to the black duck. I will keep doing my homework, it is just hard to even study blacks because it is so hard to get close to them without spooking them! :yes:
Oh, By the way I will let you know how the camp is going. Maybe I could get you out there during the season?

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:25 pm

Oh, By the way I will let you know how the camp is going. Maybe I could get you out there during the season?

JoeP[/quote]

You'll have to twist my arm,okay thats enough I give,just name the time. :thumbsup:

Keep me posted on the camp, I can pound nails as good as the next guy if you need the assistance.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Young Canadian Gun » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:52 am

I do know that blacks ducks like to nest under christmas trees and such. My dad has found a few around fresh water streams and ponds. Anyways im out.
Cole
Young Canadian Gun
hunter

Postby flytackle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:32 am

Hi Joe - I am a new member here; I live and hunt in Wellfleet where we get alot of blackies - I have a book on black ducks that may contain the info your looking for I believe it's called "High Tide and an East Wind: The story of The Black Duck" - I'll check it and see if it has any info. Good hunting, Alec
flytackle
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Conservation/Biology