Migration

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Migration

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

I know that there are always ducks that migrate according to calendar, regardless of weather, pressure, and food. I live in ND and the next 10 days is predicting strong winds from the south. My question is, will ducks fight the sound winds for the calendar migration? I know its a little early, as far as weather, but I'm curious.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Re: Migration

Postby duckbio » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Normally, no, but then again there are always ducks that go against the norm. Usually any slight breeze from the North sends ducks and geese to the South. You might experience a re-migration in the fact that birds that have moved south might take the favorable winds back North with the warmer temperatures typically experienced with South winds.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 pm

We get birds on a south wind. Its more of a trickle than a river though. But 99% of the wind here is outa the south. When you DO get a North wind here though, look out
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby neb_scott » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 am

Generally birds won't migrate on a strong south wind. If you think about it, a ducks job is to go north and breed, get out when weather and resources get bad, and get back north and breed again. Its really expensive energetically to fly into a strong south wind. The duck would have to find really good feed and feed a lot more to buck the south wind, so they don't do it much. Ducks want to survive to next year with the least amount of work possible.
neb_scott
Newb

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 am

ducks usually try to ride the pressure differntial between high and low pressure systems when migrating, that why birds are "pushed" out by big systems. That pressure difference creates the high altitude winds most energetically benficial to migrate with. Ducks will only fight the winds if it will cost more energy to stay when it gets cold that to migrate to warmer climes with more food available. so pretty much IMHO is X2 to what neb_scott said.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology