Want More Ducks?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Want More Ducks?

Postby Swamper » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 am

I just this past weekend learned of Delta Waterfowl, an organization similar to Ducks Unlimited that is trapping predators (skunks & coons mostly) up in the duck factory. They claim to double or triple the number of ducks coming from nesting sites within the trapped areas. I am not affiliated with Delta Waterfowl in any way, though I intend to join, and DU may be doing the same type deal. The following web site will more fully explain what they are doing about predators and there is a link at the end to make a donation directly into the predator control project. They are going to get some of my money for this project. Sounds like a great, quick way to get more ducks down next season. If you are interested, the web site is:

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/ddp/predator.php
Swamper
Newb

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am

Already a member and I like thier theory. Predator control is where it's at, and DU no longer gets my support. DU in my opinion has wasted too much money and resourses on admin costs. They cater to thier friends not what's best for the ducks. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:49 pm

u can kill every coon and skunk in the world and if there is no land( which DU is trying to preserve) there will be no ducks... so i think they should work together instead of people being like DU sucks, delta waterfowl is the answer, or vice versa... i like both organizations..... If they come together and make a plan where they both can contribute to helping waterfowl, then lets do that instead of taking sides, because they are both trying to help... its just stupid and ignorant to fight about which "charity", if you want to call them that, or organization is better when both are trying to do good
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:19 pm

KA has got it right. DU buys and preserves the land, and Delta can take care of the critters.

Both are important, both get my money, one just gets more than the other.

Jim- how does DU spend too much on admin costs? They have one of the most efficient organizations around, putting 84% of what they get into the ground.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:36 pm

There is not a single solution to the complex subject of water fowl. There are many international, national, regional, state and local organizations that do good work. Not every organization is right for every individual. No matter what, you should try to find at least one that has goals which are in alignment with your individual beliefs and support them. I realize not everyone can come up with the money for memberships but even if you can volunteer some time to help work on projects in your area it will help contribute to our shared passion of water fowling.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:52 pm

:withstupid: Well done! JJ
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:06 pm

KAhunter wrote:u can kill every coon and skunk in the world and if there is no land( which DU is trying to preserve) there will be no ducks... so i think they should work together instead of people being like DU sucks, delta waterfowl is the answer, or vice versa... i like both organizations..... If they come together and make a plan where they both can contribute to helping waterfowl, then lets do that instead of taking sides, because they are both trying to help... its just stupid and ignorant to fight about which "charity", if you want to call them that, or organization is better when both are trying to do good

I couldn't have said it better myself. You see too many threads in forums about people saying wich is better, it makes me sick. Both are doing good and if they ever did work together, it would be great. I support them both.
BurnZ
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Well DU is certainly not spending any money or enough money to try to preserve the traditional wintering habitat of the waterfowl in the Mississippi, Central,and Eastern flyways. The wetlands along Louisiana and other Gulf Coast states are vanishing more rapidly than any others on the continent.
They need to stop spending so much money on creating brand new wetalnds in the southern U.S. and instead save money by restoring and protecting existing wetlands. They are just wasting tons of money on some of their current projects. They have the right idea and i do support both DU and Delta but DU is just not giving the Gulf Coast states enough love.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby playaxplorer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:03 am

Delta has a great plan and they are combining wetland preservation and predator control. with this approach they can yield more ducks on few acres. however we still need to be getting our hands on more lands. i agree both Delta and DU deserve our support.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby franchi_612 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:26 pm

LA.Call'emClose wrote:Well DU is certainly not spending any money or enough money to try to preserve the traditional wintering habitat of the waterfowl in the Mississippi, Central,and Eastern flyways. The wetlands along Louisiana and other Gulf Coast states are vanishing more rapidly than any others on the continent.
They need to stop spending so much money on creating brand new wetalnds in the southern U.S. and instead save money by restoring and protecting existing wetlands. They are just wasting tons of money on some of their current projects. They have the right idea and i do support both DU and Delta but DU is just not giving the Gulf Coast states enough love.

It is alot cheaper to restore wetlands than it is to make new, and if they do not preserve and restore the breeding grounds you will have no ducks to fly to your gulf coast.
franchi_612
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:27 pm

dont forget the the state game commission does alot to help ur ducks also. i donate to them for duck houses and wetland upkeep instead of ducks unlimited. DU doesnt do much to help me out. delta is headed more in the right direction in my opinion. the only problem left is the avian predators that are exploding in population. i dont mind blastin em, but if u ever got caught, itd be expensive...........
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby duck jerky » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:20 pm

Already a member myself. I totally belive in what their doing. to many dang foxes and skunks, coons. you can have all the land you want but if nothing is being done to control the preadators it ant going to do a bit of good. I'm sorry but when only 10 to 20% of the nest are successful in a untrapped area that just doesn't sit right. so I am a member of D.U. but I'm also a proud member of Delta.
duck jerky
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:27 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:dont forget the the state game commission does alot to help ur ducks also. i donate to them for duck houses and wetland upkeep instead of ducks unlimited. DU doesnt do much to help me out. delta is headed more in the right direction in my opinion. the only problem left is the avian predators that are exploding in population. i dont mind blastin em, but if u ever got caught, itd be expensive...........

I dont know if you mean DU not helping you to much by not doing alot in your state they are helping alot by working in major duck habitats and producing areas like the Prarie Pothole Region which helps all of North America.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Conservation/Biology