Rye Grass

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Rye Grass

Postby greenheadguy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 am

I spread out some rye grass seed on the moist land in the beaver swamp i hunt, will the duck eat eat if it grows.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:46 am

That sounds like it could be just a tad illegal. Not sure your local Game and Fish department would approve of you spreding Rye grass seed in a swamp.
Penguine
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:48 pm

It sounds like a good idea, especially if any geese work your area. I mean the geese seem to like the grass at golf courses and it might prevent some of that soil from erroding away. it might not be a good idea to introduce rice grass into a swamp though, you'll have to let us know if it grows.
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Swamprat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:46 am

Rye seeds are pretty good forage, and geese will surely attack it (probably before the ducks even get to it). However, if it's not on your personal property, it's not a good policy to do things like this. And who knows if you've got a native rye seed (va rye), italian rye (which can spread pretty quick if the geese don't whack it), etc.

Even if it is your property, you may be replacing good, naturally-occurring waterfowl food with something less natural, not as sustainable, and potentially not as high quality forage. Depends on your particular marsh though.
Swamprat
hunter

Postby hermit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:31 pm

I plant rye in my lower field just for the ducks and geese. Rye and clover. I have a lot of ducks and a number of geese that stay all spring and raise young sometimes through Aug. Yes, they will eat it.
One thing I will never do is apologize. Sorry.
hermit
hunter

Postby mtroup » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:51 pm

we plant all our pastures each year with rye grass for our cattle and every so often they geese will come through and we'll have to shoot them off it a few times a day.. so yeah.. they love it.
mtroup
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology