best food plots

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

best food plots

Postby woodduckhunter » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I am going to have a food plant next year and was wondering what was best to plant. I need something that will grow in standing water. I was thinking maybe a mixture(Biologic)-a little expensive-or something like sago-which I can't find seeds for.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:50 pm

Japanese millet.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:52 pm

duckweed works good for us.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Well, Duckweed is a floating plant. Im not sure how to integrate it into a pond. I would love to though. We are going to try at least 3 different plants in our 18 acre duck pond this year. Corn, milo, and we dont know what else. Corn stands up good to the water I believe, it doesnt rot out too quick. Japanese millet is alright, but there are rules about it you need to REALLY read before you plant it. I forgot what they are but there is something there about not being able to hunt it the year you plant it or something..... is that right guys?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:39 pm

Maybe but i would anyway.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

You might....

Postby keegan511 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:12 pm

want to read up on the things you plan on planting because I believe corn and millet might fall under the baiting rules like you mentioned earlier. I think you might have to give it a year to be truely legal, I think "natural regeneration" is required.
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:15 pm

I am 98 % sure that corn is NOT in restricted by that. Because the regeneration of corn is VERY small. Japanese millet is much better at comming back by itself. But it requires a year. We were going to try corn cause corn doesnt.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby NV Guide » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:18 am

The way it was explained to me by a retired USFWS biologist, now a consultant, You can plant corn and hunt it the same year as long as you treat it like a true farm crop. Don't go out there and just knock it down, then it becomes baiting. If, however, your combine is really old and leaks a lot of grain then oh well. You can also leave it standing as it were not worth harvesting and thats ok as well. The standing corn may not be as appealing to the ducks though.

You may also try planting water grass and flooding up. This can also be hunted the first year.

Good hunting
Dennis

What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?
NV Guide
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology