Cost Sharing with DU or NRCS

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Cost Sharing with DU or NRCS

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Does anyone know about DU, NRCS, or USFWS having private land programs that provide cost-sharing benefits toward wetland restoration/enhancement projects on private lands?

Thanks
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Re: Cost Sharing with DU or NRCS

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't know where you are located or interested in doing wetland restoration/development work, but here is a link describing (at least partially) the Texas Prairie Wetland Project: http://www.ducks.org/news-media/texas-p ... ds-project

The Gulf Coast Joint Venture partners (including USFWS, DU, and Texas Parks and Wildlife) have worked to secure funding for the TPWP via NAWCA grants on a number of occasions.

In Louisiana, we have something called the Louisiana Waterfowl Project, which is a partnership between DU, USFWS, NRCS, and Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries for doing exactly what you describe. It is the primary private lands program for the Waterfowl Section of LDWF. The partners are meeting next month, and I was told that creating a similar partnership in Texas is on the agenda. I'm not sure how that would integrate or act separately from the Texas Prairie Wetland Project except that maybe there is need (desire) for such a project on non-prairie private lands in Texas.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Lreynolds wrote:I don't know where you are located or interested in doing wetland restoration/development work, but here is a link describing (at least partially) the Texas Prairie Wetland Project: http://www.ducks.org/news-media/texas-p ... ds-project

The Gulf Coast Joint Venture partners (including USFWS, DU, and Texas Parks and Wildlife) have worked to secure funding for the TPWP via NAWCA grants on a number of occasions.

In Louisiana, we have something called the Louisiana Waterfowl Project, which is a partnership between DU, USFWS, NRCS, and Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries for doing exactly what you describe. It is the primary private lands program for the Waterfowl Section of LDWF. The partners are meeting next month, and I was told that creating a similar partnership in Texas is on the agenda. I'm not sure how that would integrate or act separately from the Texas Prairie Wetland Project except that maybe there is need (desire) for such a project on non-prairie private lands in Texas.

"Unfortunately, the current funding in our private lands program (the Texas Prairie Wetlands Program) is limited to work in the coastal tier of counties." This is what DU told me this week. I am in Texas and trying to do it to where I don't have to make it an easement. It's my land, so I would like to have a lot of flexibility with it. Thank you for you insight as I appreciate your time.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:01 pm

This is the link to the partners to fish and wildlife program in TX. http://www.fws.gov/southwest/clearlakee ... rogram.htm

I wish you the best of luck and commend you for your interest in doing a project to benefit wildlife on your land. I think your impressions of easement programs under USFWS might change if you are able to talk with a private lands biologist. Easements come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Placing an easement on your land doesn't mean you have to change the way you operate your land or give up control on your land. A lot of bad pub out there, mostly perpetuated I feel by people who inherit land and are pissed grandad wanted to preserve it and they can't sell into 1 acre ranchettes. Sweeping generalization and personal opinion of course, but to me it means they work as intended when an easement stops a subdivision from being built and keeps it as a working cattle ranch/wildlife habitat.

The unfortunate reality is that with current funding (and lack thereof since Congress won't pass a budget and keeps doing extensions) conservation programs are having to really look to for high win projects of significant acreage. The fact you are looking to cost-share will make you more competitive though. Best of luck to you, and I bet there is a program out there that will fit your needs if you keep looking!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 pm

here's another link I found along the same lines

http://www.privatelandownernetwork.org/ ... x?id=10428
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

TX_WATERFOWL wrote: I am in Texas and trying to do it to where I don't have to make it an easement. It's my land, so I would like to have a lot of flexibility with it. Thank you for you insight as I appreciate your time.

Understood. But don't expect to access public money or donated money without giving up some of your flexibility. The Louisiana Waterfowl Project does work all over the state of Louisiana, but requires a 10 or 15-year agreement obligating the private landowner to maintain the habitat and keep it flooded beyond the hunting season.

Contrary to what people might complain about, these programs don't just fix up private duck holes and then allow the landowner to do whatever he wants. Hopefully, there are mutually beneficial goals, and like Troutbum suggests, there is something out there that fits for you.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Thank y'all
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Calibogue » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:19 am

As a consultant and landowner I have worked with all conservation organizations with various restoration projects.
Although I have worked within this program before, this is the first with wetland specific application.
I recently was funded through USFWS for wetland habitat improvement in the "Partners for Fish and Wildlife" cost share program.
This is a 50/50 cost share grant for said work.
Look into it!

http://www.fws.gov/partners/
Calibogue
hunter

Postby Calibogue » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 am

FYI, the PFW program requires no easement or any other obligation on your part....just good management in the long term!
Calibogue
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

That is awesome. Thanks!
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Just got off the phone with NRCS. They are coming to survey the land and take pictures. USFWS said that in my area they don't have the proper engineers?? Anyways, I will let you all know how things turn out.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Calibogue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 pm

What exactly are you wanting assistance with....water control structure,habitat manipulation....?
Calibogue
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 am

I would say wetland westoration, but it was never a wetland. Its a runoff area that feeds into a city lake. I wanted to make it a new hunting hole though. Something that I could plant, but wouldn't be very deep and would flood during the winter. Water control structure would be nice...I am really just trying to get someone to advise me on what would be best.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Calibogue » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:56 pm

USFWS is not going to help you to "till and plant" and are....good luck!
Calibogue
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 am

???...I already do that myself. How could you possibly infer that from what I said?
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby conservation guy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:50 am

TX Waterfowl
If I am following your post correctly, you have a location that you would like to do habitat improvment on and the parcel is recieving drainage and discharges to a municipal water body.

State / Federal "Storm Water Manegment Grant". The location you describe may be a stormwater area now, look into the local and higher goverment agencies for helping do Stormwater Biotreament Areas a.k.a stormwater ponds with vegetation.
Just an option for you to consider.
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Appreciate it.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby JaMak » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Ask about WHIP (wildlife habitat incentive program). The local technician should have the ability to survey and design an embankment and control structure regardless if you qualify for cost share assistance or not.
JaMak
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 am

Texas Parks and Wildlife is going to partner with NRCS. They are sending dirt samples off this week and submitting pictures to higher authority.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Return to Conservation/Biology