best food for ducks

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

best food for ducks

Postby DHDS » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Im planning on building and planting a pond for ducks this year. In my area its mostly wood ducks but also a few mallards teal and ringnecks. What would be the best for me to plant corn jap millet milo or some of both?Also what size should the pond be?
DHDS
hunter

Re: best food for ducks

Postby DHDS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Any help is appreciated :help:
Season Totals
15 woodies
12 ringnecks
16 gadwalls
2 hooded merganser
1 mallard
DHDS
hunter

Postby SALLY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 am

I would start of with smartwed because once you get it started it keeps coming back . Than in June or July millet would be good but you will have to plant it every year
SALLY
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Weedy Corn - flood early, especially if you cant flood to the ears. Lets the natural stuff start to break down and you get all the good inverts and natural stuff. as the corn falls over through the season the ducks will get to it.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 am

It depends a lot on what you have. As in ability to water and quality of drainage. More details will help.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby DHDS » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm

I can flood it anytime i want and drain just about the same
Season Totals
15 woodies
12 ringnecks
16 gadwalls
2 hooded merganser
1 mallard
DHDS
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 am

Water depth would be my next deciding factor. You can't legally knock down corn or milo, but rice will lay down on it's own. I'd prefer all three of those over millet. Corn would be first if you can get your water deep enough to get near the ears, rice would be my second.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby duckdodger24.5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Jap Millet all day long. Seed does not decay quickly in flooded conditions and will last throughout the season.
duckdodger24.5
hunter

Postby hannibal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Corn is king for us in the midwest. We flood about a 25 acre pool. We have millet and smartweed that naturally fills in between our corn plot but the majority of our food is corn.

A good mix of all 3 works well for our location with probably an 80% Corn to 20% Millet/Smartweed ratio. I think it is important to remember Corn is absolutely KING in cold weather for Mallards and Millet/Smartweed are preferred during the early season mild weather periods. We are located next to a fairly large Waterfowl Management Area and if you don't have corn you will just spend most of your time watching birds trade back and forth and never give your place a look if just have Millet/Smartweed/Buckwheat etc......I have personally experienced it and the duck just prefer the corn when the cold weather arrives.

Good luck
hannibal
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 am

hannibal wrote:Corn is king for us in the midwest.

I think it is important to remember Corn is absolutely KING in cold weather for Mallards and Millet/Smartweed are preferred during the early season mild weather periods. We are located next to a fairly large Waterfowl Management Area and if you don't have corn you will just spend most of your time watching birds trade back and forth and never give your place a look if just have Millet/Smartweed/Buckwheat etc......I have personally experienced it and the duck just prefer the corn when the cold weather arrives.

Good luck
He's right. I like to see what's inside a ducks gullet. In icy extreme-cold weather I find that in general...mallard ducks I shoot have fat throats with a couple hundred kernels of corn in them. In the early season it's weed seeds like hannibal says.
It's a good idea to check birds throats to see what they are eating. Some guys save the seeds and plant them just to see what they are. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duckbio » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 pm

It also helps to know your general location. Seeding times and water management really depends on when the birds move through your area.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby Get the green » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 am

hannibal wrote:Corn is king for us in the midwest. We flood about a 25 acre pool. We have millet and smartweed that naturally fills in between our corn plot but the majority of our food is corn.

A good mix of all 3 works well for our location with probably an 80% Corn to 20% Millet/Smartweed ratio. I think it is important to remember Corn is absolutely KING in cold weather for Mallards and Millet/Smartweed are preferred during the early season mild weather periods. We are located next to a fairly large Waterfowl Management Area and if you don't have corn you will just spend most of your time watching birds trade back and forth and never give your place a look if just have Millet/Smartweed/Buckwheat etc......I have personally experienced it and the duck just prefer the corn when the cold weather arrives.

Good luck

X2. Try to establish the smartweed and barnyard grass/jap millet and it will keep coming back, plant corn.
Get the green
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology