Need some help/advice.

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Need some help/advice.

Postby YouMadBra » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:40 am

Gents I need some advice. I'm building a new duck blind this year on smaller lake. I have seen ducks flying around there and landing there sometimes so I know Ill have some success. My trouble is the spot I will be building this blind doesn't have much natural cover around it. Ill be using some trees limbs and things like this but this is my question. Can you plant a water grass or cattail to help give some other natural cover?

As you can see there's nothing from the waters edge back to where I want to build this blind. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Re: Need some help/advice.

Postby fowlweather92 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 pm

if the water doesnt raise and lower to much i would get a shovel and build a tiny pit blind closer to the water. have a little roof and throw some of the same mud on it. just a thought
This whole school thing makes duck hunting a little harder...
fowlweather92
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:30 am

1) Can you put the blind on those opposite banks near those trees?
2) Otherwise, I'd just do a pop blind or a layout set up....
3) If you build a real blind, just try to keep it as low as you can and brush the hell out of it reallllllly early before the season and through out the season. You should be ok...
nice spot.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm

That clump of trees on the left side of photo (on the point) looks good.
The clump of trees near the center of photo, just right of center on the far bank looks good too.

You should figure out which way the winds tend to blow and build on the "leeward" side. The side with wind at your back when standing on bank looking into the middle of your lake.

Point being, make two or three blinds, brush them in well, keeping in mind wind directions so no matter which way the wind is blowing, you have a spot.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

Just stand still, you don't need a blind. That way you aren't staked down when the birds start landing on the other side of the lake.

I might drag a layout down there, but thats about it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby YouMadBra » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Unfortunately I don't have access to the other side of the lake.( I wish I did) The pasture runs along the south side of the lake which is what I can hunt. Some of the coves along this south side allow me to face east of west. This fixes my problem for when the wind blows either out of the north or south. Which is almost everyday of the hunting season.
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Postby redsled600 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm

everyone has had great suggestions, but you were wondering about cattails possibly also. They transplant awesome and love the mud like that shoreline has. Dig some up and they will have roots running horizontal under the dirt rather than straight down into the dirt so dig out about a foot or two when digging them up. Pull the plant out, clip a bit off eith end of the roots, transplant a foot deep or about to where the plant starts. Once planted trim the plant itself down to 6in above the soil this will reduce plant stress and cause it to regrow perfectly. Did this around my pond with great success. Just once its planted it will keep on expanding.....
redsled600
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Yesssss Yoda,
I forgot to ask if it was fresh water.
Plant it and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXXThSZj ... re=related
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology