What should I do?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What should I do?

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 am

So i have a 200 acre cornfield with a 1.5 acre pond in the middle of field. I have drawn down the water where there is about 20 feet of shoreline exposed and it has a very thick short green grass growing there now along with some patches of millet I put for the ducks and some additional cover for my blinds. I want to add more millet but im a little worried about how much of the pond I should plant because its going to produce more geese than ducks so I want the geese to be able,to,walk,out of the pond and right out into the corn. Ill try and take a few photos to give you a better idea of what im trying to,say
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: What should I do?

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Why not plant corn and flood it?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Would i just plant it and leave standing?
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 am

Yes, absolutely! Just make sure you fertilize and lime the exposed soil (if no soil sample, 600 lbs 10-10-10 and 2000 lbs lime per acre) and plant the shortest time maturity variety and lowest ear on the stalk corn you can. You are in MD I see and the normal corn planting dates are middle April to mid May around there. Just make sure you don't knock any down or cut it since that is construed "baiting". As long as it's standing, you're ok. Check with your local seed/farm supply for best variety to plant.

Do you have birds resting, feeding or roosting on the pond during the season as the pond was, without any attraction other than the corn around it?

Sounds like a perfect set-up to me to plant corn as long as you can control the water.

There are some other things, like chufa (an underground nut normally planted for turkeys) that could be planted in another section that would be a good attraction for puddle ducks. Check out the web sites and research different plantings.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am

We would have geese loaf on the pond and some feeding the field. There would be mallards on it but not everyday. Im really suprised at the natural vegitation thats growing since i lowered the water level
mdfowlman
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology