Japenese Millet-invasive to pasture land?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Japenese Millet-invasive to pasture land?

Postby WF1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I have a few ponds that I have permission on and was thinking about planting parts of them with japanese millet. Before I ask the farmer for permission I need a little background. The ponds are just in the middle of a 300 acre pasture that is used for grazing. With the drought this year the ponds are moist, but no standing water. If I plant the millet, is there the chance it could become a problem in his grazing pasture? Any other potential problems that could arise?
WF1
hunter

Re: Japenese Millet-invasive to pasture land?

Postby KAhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I have seen jap millet come back for a few years, with a little bit less each subsequent year. I dont see it ever taking hold or becoming a nuisance grass. Not sure of the palatability for livestock but arent some millets used as hay?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby WF1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks. I called a local game warden/land manager of a pretty renown marsh and said millet is typically not invasive, especially with CRP around. He also said its harmless to livestock, some farmers use it for erosion control.
WF1
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 pm

You're gonna have a bonanza if you get some water in the ponds after you get the millet sown. Great thing about millet is you can broadcast it and get a good germination rate as long as the soil is moist. If you are able to get a tractor and a drill in the dry ponds, you can really have an outstanding crop. A little fertilizer and lime will also go a long way toward a bumper crop with full heads.
Good luck.

Oh yeah, Jap Millet is not invasive, but will re-seed itself on a moist soil, but not easily on a grass covered pasture.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 am

Our neighboring ranch has occasionally planted millet as a "hay crop" for their cattle.
QUACK WHORE
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter

Postby WF1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Well just a brief update on the millet growing. We planted about 2 weeks ago due to the horrendous drought we've had in KS, so I waited till we got a "cold snap." Well, 2 days after planting we got .5" of rain, then about 1.5 wks after planting we got 3" of rain that semi flooded the millet.

It looks like it was able to get a decent start before flooding so some of the heads are above the water line. It should still be able to grow in these conditions right?

Hopefully it can continue to grow and in about 2 months we get some substantial rain and raises the pond another foot and we should be in business.

Even had a couple dozen teal sittin in the millet last night!
Attachments
millet resized 2.jpg
millet resized 1.jpg
WF1
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Looks like a good show pond for some puddle duck hunting. :beer:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

WF1 wrote:It looks like it was able to get a decent start before flooding so some of the heads are above the water line. It should still be able to grow in these conditions right?
!

As long as the entire plant is not under water, the millet should continue to grow. If it completely submerges, you won't get anymore growth or head maturing.

Hope you have enough warm weather to get the heads to grow/mature and dry before the season arrives and can get a crop.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WF1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Ya I'm hoping the freeze holds off for awhile. I figured if I planted in July that with the drought the seed wouldn't have a shot, so I'll take the gamble with the freeze.
WF1
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 am

Not sure where you are located, but I make sure I've got jap millet in the ground by August 1 and I'm in the Southeast. Jap millet has about a 50-60 day maturity rate and you need that much time before the freeze, so plant accordingly. Also if the millet is flooded too much prior to the waterfowl season, the stalks will have a tendency to lay down and the seed heads, if already formed, will sprout.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WF1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 am

I'm in Midwestern KS, we had less than .25" of rain from may through about aug 23. If the milo couldn't make it I figured millet wouldn't have a prayer with 0 moisture. I knew I was behind the game by planting mid August, but I thought its better to take a chance with a late freeze than battle what seemingly was an endless drought. I don't have the ability to control when the pond floods, but I still have about 30% of my "crop" on muddy ground with no water. I'm hoping right before the season starts (beginning of November) we get another good rain to flood the remaining portion. This was more of an experiment than anything. I don't own the land so I don't want to sink the $$ into to put in water control structures to do it properly. I shot close to 100 ducks off it last year by myself so the millet was just a bonus for this year!
WF1
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology