Seeding

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Seeding

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:44 pm

Do any of you guys recomend any plants that you might have used in ponds or mud holes to attack ducks. Maybe even creeks, rivers or mud holes that dry up.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodywoodduck » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:56 pm

Millet, Sorgum, Smart Weed.

If you can Find it, Wild Rice.

I had a website 2 years ago, that sold Wild rice to plant. They got hit by a Hacker and their Site got Wiped out. I didn't save their Address or Phone Number, WISH I HAD!

Wild Rice is VERY EXPENSIVE to buy to plant!

I have a Feed Store near me, the owner did some Tracking Down of some places to buy Wild Rice Seed, Avarage was $300.00 for 25 pounds of seed!

If you can Find a place that holds major consentrations of Duck Weed, Skim it and put it in Plastic Bags and Transplant it!

I'm Sure there are many other seeds and plants you can get and plant, those are just a few I have delt with!
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:57 pm

We plant 4 types of Millet, Sorgum, Duck Weed, and Clover in and around our ponds. Also flooded standing corn when we can.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby aaron » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:04 pm

One of the food plot seeding companies actually markets a waterfowl mixture. I think it has wild rice,sorghum, a couple of others along with wild celery.

Bio-logic ,I think.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:57 am

I found a site trhough another forum, garden web I believe it was, it pointed to a seller of wild rice in Wisconsin, could be your ticket!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:36 pm

You could check your state Fish and Game Dept for info,in fact its probable best to get thier imput since you might find yourself stocking something illeagal.Most ponds have good and bad plants in them and the bad ones can be serious intruders.
Even if you are transplanting something good you could inadvertantly be taking along a non native hitch hiker mixed in.
Eurasian milfoil,African kabomba weed and a bunch of others only require a tiny piece of themselves to take over a whole pond.
Introducing plants to improve ponds for ducks is a great idea but it would backfire if the wrong plants got in.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Where to find rice

Postby Gatman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:07 pm

Here is a website that sells rice. I purchased it for $10 a ten pound bag. www.penningtonseed.com This is a warm-season small grain rice. It works well in Alabama's warm climate. P.S. I have used the Bio-Logic brand and it is not a mix of diferent seeds. I found no millet seeds in it just rice. Very exspensive rice !!
Gatman
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology