Japanese Millet

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Japanese Millet

Postby gsphunter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:31 pm

I just broadcasted some Japanese millet on a small part of my duck lease. The area already had some vegetation in it, and the soil was extremely moist.

Does anyone konw what kind of soil conditions are best for planting millet, and will it grow up through other short vegetation?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:51 pm

its best to try and disk or kill the vegetation before you plant but some should come up through the grass... if it gets up taller and starts to shade out the other grasses it wouldnt hurt to fertilize it, but i would recommend letting it grow some and hopefully out compete the other stuff first, then fertilize ot give it a good jump... it like moist soils so you should be good... the stuff is great for ducks so good luck you should get some in there
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Swamprat » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am

It has trouble competing when it's real young. Discing would have helped.
Swamprat
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:45 pm

There was definitely no disking gonna happen where I put this stuff. There are logs laying everywhere and the ground was wet enough in some spots to stick my 4x4 Polaris up to the foot pegs. It was definitely not a fun night.

I think next year I will try taking a line trimmer back there and cutting the weeds that are there really short. I have also considered keeping water in the area year round and putting rice in.

Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:22 pm

you could even spray with roundup to kill the weeds then seed like a week later or so (probably best after a rain so no roundup left to kill the millet)... roundup is safe for the environment too
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Japanese Millet

Postby heathhagy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:15 am

Though it may be a little late this year, in the future you should know that even moist-soil hardy plants like japanese millet require some draw-down conditions to germinate. Water-control structures can help you regulate these conditions as moist grasses will not germinate under cover of water or extremely saturated soils. They will, however, survive well when inundated and maintain a good standing crop of seed.

Also, some disturdance is required to give millet a chance at competing with other grasses and forbes.
heathhagy
Newb

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:21 am

Well, I went and checked on the millet last night for the first time since I put it in. It is THICK. It came in great. Can't wait to get some water in there.

Thanks for all the info everyone provided. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby NV Guide » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Here is a picture of how our millet is doing this year.

Dennis

What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?
NV Guide
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KAhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:51 am

man that looks nice

KAhunter
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:27 pm

Just stumbled across this post, and it answered some questions I was having. I have a first year lease. In one hole which is sort of kidney shaped, it too had tall grasses in the heart of it. No way to get in there and disc it up. We broadcast all the way around it, then came off of that perpendicular with fingers or strips of millet. Once flooded it will leave some open water between these fingers. Our blind will be in the middle of the tall grasses and weeds. We got in on this one dirt cheap, so we are looking at it as a hit or miss situation. Crossing our fingers and hoping for the best. I was surprised at how quickly the millet germinated and got up to five or so inches. Just over a weeks time. I am going this weekend and fertilize it with some slow release. Was going to do 13*13*13, but cannot seem to get there before the rain and did not want to burn it up.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Netstar1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:42 pm

How long does jap millet take to germinate and when can it be reflooded? What month should we start seeding? Our ponds are in the central California (San Jaquin Valley) and we'd like to improve the waterfowl habitat.
Netstar1
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:37 pm

on or land we do flooded corn and in most areas broadcast millet on top this provides a little extre food early in the year but to do it right it should have a disked seed bed with moistre then rake it i8n after broadcasting
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby smrducks » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 pm

drain it and as soon as the waters out brodcast it on the mud you will love the results
smrducks
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology