improving a location

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

improving a location

Postby shoreboys » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Me and my friend have had premission to hunt a property across the street from his house for a few years. also kill a few geese out of it each year. there is always corn or beans planted in it. there are two ponds one is always etheir empty or has 6 inch of water or less in it that pond is bout 25 by 15 ft butts up to a woods. the other pond ( wich we hunt on) is in the middle of the feild its bout a foot ball feild long and bout 75 foot across. it has natural grass all around it then goes to corn feild. this year we have a row of corn all the way around it that is butted to grass. killed some geese this year and i have seen a few ducks coming in to it without decoys out and while there their. soo the guy lets us hunt for free and is willing for us to plant whatever we want in the pond or around it. what are your suggestions? please help
shoreboys
hunter

Re: improving a location

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 am

If you have control over the water (can drain the pond and fill it back up) and it's not too deep, then corn would be my first choice to plant and leave standing then flood for the season. If you can't control the water, then something like Japanese Millet around the moist edges would be something simple and easy to plant. If the farmer helps you out, you could disc around the pond and plant millet, sorghum, or rice. Smart weed is another choice that would be a perennial that once established you wouldn't have to bother with again. Bear in mind that geese like a clean bank around a pond for lounging and loafing, so if you are able to have a grassy area or clean soil on one side, right down to the water line, the geese like that.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby shoreboys » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 am

yeah there is a pump to the pond. we were going to try some frag mighty to attrack them and some kinda millet or something thank you
shoreboys
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't think you want to introduce phragmites to your pond. There are many other things that would give you some cover (only thing it's good for) like sorghum, which you would plant every year. Our state has spent millions trying to get rid of phragmites as it takes over a pond, impoundment, the marsh, etc.

Where does your water source for the pond come from? Ground or creek?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby shoreboys » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 pm

oh ok thank never thought of that. and it just collect and holds rain
shoreboys
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology