How many of you own canadian geese?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

How many of you own canadian geese?

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm buying some in a few weeks, what better way to learn their calls! $46 a gosling, not cheap... My only thought was, are they going to talk the same as wild canadians? Whats your thought?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: How many of you own canadian geese?

Postby klee7013 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:06 am

No. ( Just a guess but tame mallards dont sound exactly like wild mallards IMO.)
klee7013
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm in the wrong business.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:52 pm

lol same here
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

How much are the geese from the US?
hankyorke
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Theres several brreders in the US. When you purchase the birds the hatchery will sell you an ownership permit, which allows you to keep them, but you cannot sell them...
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Theres several brreders in the US. When you purchase the birds the hatchery will sell you an ownership permit, which allows you to keep them, but you cannot sell them...

Good luck. Hopecully they keep their Canadian accent, aye.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 am

I have raised birds and waterfowl my whole life and if they are a pure breed wild species then they will certainly make the same calls as there wild companions. Although i have not raised geese, i had a very good friend who raised them. She kept them in a large fenced area about an acre in size with ponds and grass they were pinioned so that they could not fly out. I would go over and help her feed them, dig out ponds, and create places for them to nest. As i said earlier if they are a true wild species of waterfowl they obviously have the same vocal sounds. I have raised mallards and they do make the same calls and talk the same as the wild birds, if you are talking about the big ugly rouen mallards then no, they do not because they are not a wild species of duck. Now with that being said, though they are totally capable of making the same exact calls of the wild birds dosent necessarily mean they will. You have got to think what makes a wild canadian goose express certain calls and talk the way they do? When a flock of wild geese see a field full of feed and other birds, they get very excited and start cackling like crazy which gets the ground birds excited and they start getting into feeding calls and honking, moaning and cackling back to the other birds which goes on back and fourth creating the vigorous calls that hunters try to recreate in the blind. Your pen raised birds will not have such an experience. My friends geese talked alot when they would see wild geese and get them to land with them all they time. I would say depending on your location you raise these birds, what kind of aviary you keep them in, how natural you create their environment, and how you feed them will all have an effect on how vocal your birds will be. In my opninion, the more you can recreate their wild instincts the more vocal they will be for you. Wild birds flying above your birds will greatly improve their need to make themselves known and talk. Best of luck im excited for you
Pintail65
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Pintail65 wrote:I have raised birds and waterfowl my whole life and if they are a pure breed wild species then they will certainly make the same calls as there wild companions. Although i have not raised geese, i had a very good friend who raised them. She kept them in a large fenced area about an acre in size with ponds and grass they were pinioned so that they could not fly out. I would go over and help her feed them, dig out ponds, and create places for them to nest. As i said earlier if they are a true wild species of waterfowl they obviously have the same vocal sounds. I have raised mallards and they do make the same calls and talk the same as the wild birds, if you are talking about the big ugly rouen mallards then no, they do not because they are not a wild species of duck. Now with that being said, though they are totally capable of making the same exact calls of the wild birds dosent necessarily mean they will. You have got to think what makes a wild canadian goose express certain calls and talk the way they do? When a flock of wild geese see a field full of feed and other birds, they get very excited and start cackling like crazy which gets the ground birds excited and they start getting into feeding calls and honking, moaning and cackling back to the other birds which goes on back and fourth creating the vigorous calls that hunters try to recreate in the blind. Your pen raised birds will not have such an experience. My friends geese talked alot when they would see wild geese and get them to land with them all they time. I would say depending on your location you raise these birds, what kind of aviary you keep them in, how natural you create their environment, and how you feed them will all have an effect on how vocal your birds will be. In my opninion, the more you can recreate their wild instincts the more vocal they will be for you. Wild birds flying above your birds will greatly improve their need to make themselves known and talk. Best of luck im excited for you

Thanks Pintail, that was helpful, hopefully it wont confuse the new pup in thinking they are his friends in the field lol
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:15 am

My wife and I found a broken up nest while fishing one spring. It had 3 eggs left that weren't eaten. We put them under a hen and two hatched. We have two Canadian Geese as pets now. They are 3 years old.

Hogs won on the road!!!
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I have several stock ponds on my ranch, that have good water and nesting habitat. Dozens of mallards used to nest there and raise hundreds of young every year. About six years ago, a couple pairs of Canadas started nesting there and now I have about a dozen pairs and no mallards nesting. I would love to get rid of the honkers and get my dux back.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:58 pm

When you get the geese from the hatchery, make sure you dip the bill of the bird in the water to familiarize the bird with it. Feed them a non arsenic waterfowl starter with at least 18% protein. They will need a heated brooder area around 90 degrees for the first couple of weeks then back the temp. down 5 degrees each week as they get older. Gosling grow quick so they need grass for grazing. Put clumps of grass roots and all in their for them to eat, this will prevent them from picking on each other(a nervous habit that waterfowl have). Most likely the eggs have been artificially incubated and the goslings are not water proof. This will come as they grow and their oil glands develop, in the wild the mother goose would spread her protective oil on them to water proof them. Limit them to just drinking water at first. If they get really wet, you can dry them off with a hair dryer on LOW heat. The goslings will imprint on you very quickly and will follow you all across the yard. If you do not want them to fly, now's the time to pinion(permanetly removed the outer primary flight feather on ONE wing). The last little joint towards the end of the wing is sheared off with a pair of scissors making them flightless. It won't hurt the gosling if done correctly in the earliest days of its life. The hatchery may do this at their facility for a nominal charge. The goslings will have the right hind toe removed for federal marking at the hatchery and a state permit will come with the birds. If you want to sell, barter or even give them away a fedral waterfowl sale & disposal permit must be obtained from the U.S.F.W. Service. I have raise migratory waterfowl for over thirty years and they are alot of fun. It takes usually 3-4 years for Canada geese to reach maturity age to breed. Good Luck on your new "goose Family". :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby brokermike » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:49 am

Doug Hodges wrote:My wife and I found a broken up nest while fishing one spring. It had 3 eggs left that weren't eaten. We put them under a hen and two hatched. We have two Canadian Geese as pets now. They are 3 years old.

Hogs won on the road!!!

Can you please feed them lots and lots of food and then weigh them. I'd be really curious :biggrin:
brokermike
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

Doug Hodges wrote:My wife and I found a broken up nest while fishing one spring. It had 3 eggs left that weren't eaten. We put them under a hen and two hatched. We have two Canadian Geese as pets now. They are 3 years old.
Hogs won on the road!!!

Names? this should be fun...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby kandynancy88 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 am

Hogs won on the road!!!

hmmm....yeah dude this is a very much nice dude....its very interesting dude. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kandynancy88
Newb

Postby tsmart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 am

They are "Canada" Geese.

Not Canadian.

Just sayin...

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:38 am

kandynancy88 wrote:hmmm....yeah dude this is a very much nice dude....its very interesting dude. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What?
This is your first post?

"he is nice guy yes? We invite him to goose house, yes? Yah....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:24 pm

tsmart wrote:They are "Canada" Geese.

Not Canadian.

Just sayin...

T.

.......... honkers.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:33 pm

We raised a few Canada's for a few years, they were clipped and couldn't fly, part of a restocking program under the Dept. of Natural Resources, they became a real nuisance, sh&*())^T everywhere, they would chase the dogs and the kids but they did bring in the wild Canada's to the valley, we had very few geese here prior to our geese calling them down. In recent years we have several wild flocks that like to buzz the house and tantalize me off season but nowhere to be seen during the season..... LOL
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Cul D' Canard » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm

winchester1852 wrote:

Not Canadian.

Just sayin...

T.

.......... honkers.

X2
"We're all in this together" - Red Green
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Cul D' Canard wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

Not Canadian.

Just sayin...

T.

.......... honkers.

X2

X3 Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm

What is a "canadian" goose? Are these geese that live or have lived in Canada? I have hunted and shot Canada geese. Some may have even been born in Canada. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 am

wanapasaki wrote:
Thanks Pintail, that was helpful, hopefully it wont confuse the new pup in thinking they are his friends in the field lol

Would you please change the title of your posting to be "Canada Geese" instead of "canadian geese"
Thank you for your support. Good luck with the new pup, keep us informed of his progress,
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology