Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

This makes my blood boil.

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:31 pm

Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:19 pm

:umm: :umm: Image
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:24 pm

Why would that make your blood boil?

My Marine buddy in Okinawa had a cat that would bring things home. We watched him one night stalk the bats that were flying around the trees out back. He jumped up, brought one down and laid in to it. Couple minutes later he had drug it up the stairs and left this very large fruit bat at the door. Was pretty neat to watch.
Penguine
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm

Domestic cats going out and killing native animals is never cool.

My mom lets her cat out sometimes, the thing brings bats home all the time, no clue how he does it.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Cats are natural hunters. The dude does explain that the cat is not his, it took up residence in his backyard so they started to provide it some food and water. He does mention that it is neutered also.

I could see if we lived someplace like Australia or some small island, but we live in the US. We have an abundance of everything that cat is killing.
Penguine
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Well, if that cat was to bring home a nesting hen, I would be pretty pissed. Cats are non-native species and will be viewed nothing more than a carp in my eyes.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 pm

So if it were a dog bringing those things home would it be ok? They are not native species either.
Penguine
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:21 am

my cat used to always leave us special 'presents' on the doorstep... mice, birds, golphers... he'd come in the house all proud of himself and make us see what he brought us... the good thing is that he loved starlings the most, so we werent complaining...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:57 am

If you look at everything as an invasive species there would be a lot of animals that need to go. Domestic cats could possibly be a small threat to waterfowl, but I didnt see the first picture of the cat eating a duck and I looked at everyone trying to see what was so awful. Wierd, yes, no argument.. And as far as comparing it to carp is way off. Carp can ruin a lake regardless of size, and need to be removed for waters to settle and allow lake bottoms to see sunlight and grow native vegetation. Cats arent ruining anything except a few small animals. Mountain lions, owls, hawks, falcons, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, etc, etc, the list goes on and on all of these have a bigger impact than "tinkerbell" the domestic house cat.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:13 am

I saw a cat with a young pheasant once, and I've been on the warpath with them ever since.

Check this out.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... lcats.html
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:29 am

smackaduck wrote:Mountain lions, owls, hawks, falcons, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, etc, etc, the list goes on and on all of these have a bigger impact than "tinkerbell" the domestic house cat.

Cats have a far greater impact on native animal populations because most animals are evolved to deal with that kind of predator.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/speaker3.html not a really legit webitsite, but it looks like they used good sources.

Domestic cats vs. native predators

Although cats make affectionate pets, many domestic cats hunt as effectively as wild predators. However, they differ from wild predators in three important ways: First, people protect cats from disease, predation and competition, factors that can control numbers of wild predators, such as bobcats, foxes, or coyotes. Second, they often have a dependable supply of supplemental food provided by humans and are, therefore, not influenced by changes in populations of prey. Whereas populations of native predators quwill decline when prey becomes scarce, cats receiving food subsidies from people remain abundant and continue to hunt even rare species. Third, unlike many native predators, cat densities are either poorly limited or not limited by territoriality [19]. These three factors allow domestic cats to exist at much higher densities than native predators. In some parts of rural Wisconsin, densities of free-ranging cats reach 114 cats per square mile. In these areas, cats are several times more abundant than all mid-sized native predators (such as foxes, raccoons, skunks) combined. With abundant food, densities can reach over 9 per acre, and cats often form large feeding and breeding "colonies" (81 cats were recorded in one colony, and colonies of over 20 are not uncommon) [20, 21]. Unlike some predators, a cat's desire to hunt is not suppressed by adequate supplemental food. Even when fed regularly by people, a cat's motivation to hunt remains strong, so it continues hunting [22].

In summary

Free-ranging cats are abundant and widespread predators. They often exist at much higher densities than native predators. They prey on large numbers of wild animals, some of which are rare or endangered. They compete with native predators, and they harbor a variety of diseases. Yet, cats are popular pets. In order to have and care for our pets--and still protect our native wildlife--we must make an effort to limit in a humane manner the adverse effects free-ranging cats can have on wildlife.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Dogman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:38 pm

Free ranging cats do a great deal of damage to many species.They do not stop at mice and rats and take a large number of song birds and game animals as well.Many of these are pets and that compounds the issue since they can rely on humans for food,vet care and a warm dry place giving them an advantage over the prey they kill.In my nieghborhood there are many Eastern Bluebird nests,these birds are on the list of threatened birds.Cats are their number one predator over most of their range.Cats never have leash laws or have to be registered and licensed by local towns.Yet if dogs were causing the same amount of wildlife kills as cats we would soon see dogs required to stay indoors.Why don't we mandate cats to be kept indoors.My mothers cat stays indoors,doesn't kill anything and its fine indoors.Hasn't been run over or shot at to boot.
Any effort to control cats will be met will shrill outcry from cat "advocates" who will claim that restraining them is cruel and that we have plenty of wildlife for their cat to kill.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Right on dogman. My mom and I have had huge arguements. She has no problem when I shoot coons, but the mere mention of shooting a cat and she flips out. To her apparently raccoons are pests but a wild cat is something different.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:32 pm

Hell if there were wild cats around here id shoot them.

What makes my blood boil is that guy is a freak posting crap like that and taking pictures. :umm: :umm:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:03 am

i hate cats with a passion, especially those dainty house cats...but this cat is pretty cool...i grew up on a farm and with all our wild barn cats i never seen them with anything other than the occasional mole or field mouse
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:02 am

Oh well, if ya don't like it and don't want to look at it all ya gotta do is not click the link.
Penguine
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:28 am

Its not the website that pisses me off, its the principle of a glorifying something that could be harmful to the environment.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:52 pm

It is one neighborhood cat killing rabits and moles out of the back yard. I really dont see their being a big effect on the environment. The cat propably lives in a city downtown anyway.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:36 am

Like I said, its the principle.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby duckoff » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:14 am

I dont think domestic cats or even feral cats killing a squirrel here and there is cause for an epidemic. So theres one less rabbit in the world. Only about 10 billion left. I dont like cats much either, but its not like they escaped from there homes and kill a mouse once in a while just to spite people. Theres bigger problems in the animal world than cats killing sparrows.
duckoff
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:29 pm

duckoff wrote:I dont think domestic cats or even feral cats killing a squirrel here and there is cause for an epidemic. So theres one less rabbit in the world. Only about 10 billion left. I dont like cats much either, but its not like they escaped from there homes and kill a mouse once in a while just to spite people. Theres bigger problems in the animal world than cats killing sparrows.

Did you read the links I posted?
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:18 pm

MinnesotaDan your crazy Man :umm:
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

freaks n creeps freaks n creeps
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:27 pm

:withstupid: id like for my benelli to meet jeff the cat bang! aww pretty kitty look what my barrel caught
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby woodie77 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:20 am

sometimes we just need to prioritize...do we really need to bother ourselves with cats and the squirrels or other small game they are taking every once in awhile...or should we be trying to do something about the wetlands or other hunting lands trying to be taken away or done away with for a shopping mall???just a question...
Ready to get wet and chase feathers
woodie77
hunter

Next

Return to Conservation/Biology