This makes my blood boil.

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Postby fowlaholic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 pm

well i have 12 acres of water 40 feet from my backdoor in early spring i set out nesting boxes for ducks platforms for geese and boxes for woodys. last spring i got real sick and tired of walking around the pond and finding alot of the little ones dead with just the heads eaten off! i caught the cat doing it once. the second time i saw it stalking was its last amazing what a broadhead can do at 45 yards. if your gonna have a cat outside around me put a bell on it or ill put lead in it :pissed:
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:27 pm

I shoot them on sight.
phutch30
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 pm

phutch30 wrote:I shoot them on sight.
now thats a good kitty :mrgreen:
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby Fishman1113 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 am

I don't make a habit of shooting stuff that I don't plan on eating, but if I see a cat or any animal getting at my nesting boxes or bird houses I give them a warning shot first, but if they come back lets just say they were warned. :mrgreen:

Brent
Fishman1113
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:25 pm

woodie77 wrote:sometimes we just need to prioritize...do we really need to bother ourselves with cats and the squirrels or other small game they are taking every once in awhile...or should we be trying to do something about the wetlands or other hunting lands trying to be taken away or done away with for a shopping mall???just a question...

I agree with your point here, but that land does us little good if the cats are gonna come in and take over.
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:53 pm

duckoff wrote:I dont think domestic cats or even feral cats killing a squirrel here and there is cause for an epidemic. So theres one less rabbit in the world. Only about 10 billion left. I dont like cats much either, but its not like they escaped from there homes and kill a mouse once in a while just to spite people. Theres bigger problems in the animal world than cats killing sparrows.

I am not trying to be rude, but, did you not take a biology class? Cause food webs were day one I think. I don't know of, nor can I think or imagine a greater problem than messing with a food web. Wiping out land wipes out the entire web in a specific area, it is obvious and apparent.

Letting cats roam free like this is something else entirly. There is a false sense of security that these cute little kitties are just killing a mouse here and there.

Let me explain in detail how this works....

Little fred lives outside, he has food on the porch, and really has no need to hunt, but he likes exloring. On his daily adventures he likes to practice his stalking technique, and loves investigating anything that moves. In a typical day he encounters three to four things that are interesting, let's say for conversation sake...he only kills one thing every second day, or an average of 15 a month, that's 180 kills per year.

Now, here is where the problem really starts:
1. As stated above, there is food on the porch, so fred aint eaten what he kills and we all know that is breaking rule # 1 :hammering:
2. This is 180 kills taken away from aniamls who do belong there (hawks for example)
3. This is 180 kills handed to a scavanger that should not have gone to him (racoon (they like eggs too), crow, vulcher) this is propogation of imbalance and it is VERY WRONG.
4. Let's say there is a pond, and some mallards, and the cat takes two mallard hens from the clutch.....one of those might have made it to maturity and bred itself....so let's count that as 6 kills, not just 2
5. Now that the scavangers are well fed through the winter, they watch the cat and learn what the nests are, they like eggs too ya know!
6. since the hawks are dead from not having mice to hunt, the snakes have now moved into the house as they too are in search of field mice.
7. all the grass is dead from the bugs that ran rampant with no mice eating them.
8. the fire ants have gone wild as there is always a partialy eaten morsel to build a nest around
let me know if I need to keep going, because I swear I could easily make this list three or four pages long.

Now, this is the best I can come up with off the top of my head, and although compleetly fictional I think you can see what kind of impact one cat might have over say....a quarter acre of land. This is a major problem. I don't think it should be taken lightly, and next to Urban sprawl and land usage issues, ferrel cats are quickly becoming the biggest problem we are facing.

Cute or not, these are hardcore killers, and what is worse, they are wastefull! :pissed:

-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Riley1dog » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:07 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Like I said, its the principle.

I understand why you might hate cats but he eats the rabbits etc and moles and mice etc.. That is what cats do. The hunt kill and eat is that not we are here discusing that we do. I agree there are a but load of kittys out there that have had an impact on birds the guy should put a bell on the cat.

Now I would like someone to explain to me why some jacka55 left 15 ducks on the boat ramp last sunday at reelfoot lake that makes my blood boil I attempted to explain why the cat kills now explain to me what dic& head would do that.
Riley1dog
hunter

Postby littlesturgeon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 pm

the only time ill ever see a cat is when the little red dot is on its head!!!!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
littlesturgeon
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:58 am

duckbum13 wrote:MinnesotaDan your crazy Man :umm:

Yeah, but I don't think its because I blast cats. I see cats around pot holes and cat-tails all the time. I wonder why they are there? Do you think it could be to kill birds?

I'm sorry If I'm coming off as condescending.

(condescending means to talk to down to.)
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MallardMauler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Good post woodie.
Am I a non-native species???
I kill all kinds of stuff....ducks mostly, turkey, deer.

Hope no one decides my hunting is invase to any species.
:salude:
MallardMauler
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:36 pm

MallardMauler wrote:Good post woodie.
Am I a non-native species???
I kill all kinds of stuff....ducks mostly, turkey, deer.

Hope no one decides my hunting is invase to any species.
:salude:

You honestly think you kill as many birds a year as a cat? Do you hunt birds sitting on nests like a cat? Do you kill birds and just leave 'em lay?
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MallardMauler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:24 am

Good point, however. I see numbers posted for duck kills that will far exceed what Fred or any few cats can come close to. I do however agree that ferral cats can be a problem. Mostly the problem is people that don't make certain that cats are fixed so the problem continues and grows.
Some good posts by all though.
MallardMauler
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:54 pm

Fat chicks need love too, and thats where cats come in. So I guess they can't all be bad.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 pm

just wondering how did you manage to come across this website?

:umm:
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:40 am

arizonaduckhunter13 wrote:just wondering how did you manage to come across this website?

:umm:

I think I saw it on some anti-animal rights forum when I was bored. I don't remember for sure. I posted it a really long time ago.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MallardMauler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Fat chicks need love too, and thats where cats come in. So I guess they can't all be bad.

Now thats funny, I dont care who you are... :toofunny: [/quote]
MallardMauler
hunter

Postby tiercel45 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:22 pm

cats are a major killer of many game birds and small game animals and are shot on sight around here, and i myself will help take the cat population down at every oppurtunity to help save a few grouse and woodcock and yes even ducks and ducklings
tiercel45
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:01 pm

who cares what a dumb cat kills o what a shame he is as affective as anny body behing the wheel of a car. and its nothing a .22 cant take care of. OR A HAMMER :hammering:
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 pm

"Scientific rationale for the plugging proposal is contained in a 1996 paper published by University of Wisconsin ecology Prof. Stanley Temple.

He calculated that an estimated 1.4 million free-ranging cats in Wisconsin's rural areas were responsible for the deaths of anywhere from 7.8 million to 219 million birds every year."

http://www.rense.com/general63/cats.htm
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:35 am

well...!?!? i dont like cats, i and really wouldnt like cats eating any of the birds on my property, especially if those said birds were waterfowl of any type... honestly i've never seen cats while out duck or goose hunting.... but i did get a kick out of the website of jeff the cat. who the F would take the time to do all that?!?!?! :huh:
bluewing77
hunter

Postby DuckMN » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32 pm

That gets to me too, and heres why:

Sure, its cute, whatever. How do they know that kitty didn't bring that from somebody else's bird feeder? I say this because it happens to us regularly. If that cat belonged to my neighbors I would have put this cat in the dirt along time ago. Don't get me wrong, I love cats, and I do not fully understand the circumstances here. I do understand that this is a pet interacting with the environment in an abnormal way. As a pet, the cat should be eating its own food from its own dish, it is not a natural predator for the local bird population. If you have an outside cat, keep the effin thing on your property at the very least, and pay a bit of attention to what its doing.
DuckMN
hunter

Postby jeff wolpert » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:47 am

Very well put Quackattaq.I'm not anti-any animal,but the cat is a domestic animal and should be treated as such.If it's an indoor cat keep the thing inside.we wouldn't let our prized retrievers roam aimlessly while we are asleep or at work.why is a cat any different??it's a domestic pet!!we don't let our kids roam aimlessly.animals like people aren't ornaments take care of the da!! thing or don't get one. and if it's nasty or inhospitable.than be a man or woman and shoot it!!! don't make it some one elses problem.ie: our wild game animals!! jeff..
jeff wolpert
hunter

Postby dog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 am

I like some cats. But cats are indoores pet, they shouldn't ever be put outside.

That website is gross, what idiot desided to make a website about that? :no:

And feral cats are a problem, but they shouln't be shot. The lease we can do is humany eutunize them. :sad:
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Previous

Return to Conservation/Biology