Too late to get nesting wood ducks?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Too late to get nesting wood ducks?

Postby Goose Doctors » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey guys, I built 5 wood duck houses I put up on my grandparents property about a month ago and I know 3 of them have woodies nesting in them. I work in a Menards lumberyard, and the other day one of my tasks was to clean out all the garbage in and around the pond and got me thinkin I should build a wood duck box for the pond, if I can get a few more woodies added to population why not?? I talked to the GM and he told me to go for it. I'm located in SE Wisconsin, but just wondering if I get the box up within the next 2 days if it's going to be too late to get any woodies this year. It has been a very cold spring for us, with snow a couple days ago and more cold weather and snow in the forecast. I'm hoping some woodies might not have come this far north yet and theres a chance that I still could get a hen nesting in there this year. Just wanted to see what the experts had to say!
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: Too late to get nesting wood ducks?

Postby tsmart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 am

You should be good.

Our nesting season in Western NC seems to be early March until Early August.
In Wisconsin, you should still be good, to hit the nesting season for your birds.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 am

Being only a few days from August this might, at first, seem to be too late a reply to the question posed here, but it might be of some benefit in the future.
I'm in E Idaho, and this past March our local chapter of DU put out over 40 Wood Duck nest boxes, but our big problem was not so much whether we were too late, but too 'early' in a manner of speaking.
We got our boxes installed in plenty of time for the Woodies, but also for the Starlings, who simply filled over half those we installed before the Woodies could set up housekeeping.
Now I'm of a mind to screen over the holes on those, and future boxes, until the middle to end of April, or until most Starlings are committed to nest elsewhere, and then open them up for the Woodies.
I don't know if this may be too late, but we are in the Northern/high desert part of the Mountain west, and I'm hoping for a bit later nest season for our local birds.
Can't think of what else to do about the Starlings. Guarding every box, or even a weekly check on them is a bit out of the question because of their distribution over a considerable area.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:58 am

In eastern NC, I try to have all my boxes cleaned out and filled with cypress shavings prior to Christmas as the hens start picking out nesting places about then. Ours will nest around the end of January dropping an egg per day for around 15 days and the first hatch is Feb-Mar. about 28 days after the last egg is dropped and incubation begins. If the nest is destroyed, they will re-nest a second hatch.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology