Full Round Risers. Questions

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Full Round Risers. Questions

Postby klee7013 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 am

Where do yall order full round risers from? and Have you had any trouble with them.
klee7013
hunter

Re: Full Round Risers. Questions

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 am

This is where I get all mine from:

http://www.carolinapipe.com/products.html

They are just 10 miles from me. They'll make what ever you want. I use more half Flashboards than Round on my client's impoundments. Looks like you are in South Carolina, so you might want to find a place closer to home so the transportaion won't be so high. Give them a call and they may be able to refer you to someone closer.
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Sat May 11, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 pm

only reason i said full is because we got beavers out the :help: .

Or should i jsut go with halfs either way it will be a batttle i think
Thanks
klee7013
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun May 05, 2013 6:37 am

The design should match the purpose and location. Are you wanting to control the water level and be able to drain as well as retain? The fabrication folks would be equipped to make a recommendation and provide you with the most effective pipe, fashboard riser or round drain, etc, that would meet your expectations. They can provide you with beaver guards on any type control device. I've even put my own fencing around the structure when the water is shallow enough to drive posts into the bottom of the impoundment at the control pipe. You still have to periodically clean off the guards, professional or homemade, as those beavers "don't give up, don't ever give up!"

I'm aware some fabricators are now making the risers and drains out of polyethylene. I have yet to install any and have not priced them to compare to aluminum. Something you may want to look into.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Here is a pic of what i am talking about

On top is our impoundment. Which right now we use a 8 or 9" pvc pipe with a 90" to regulate our water depth and knock on wood no trouble with beavers clogging that up

Then there is the ditch under it and it goes all the way around it.
The red line is a road that separate the ditch from a hole we call the wood duck hole(yellow square).

Want to separate the ditch and the wood duck hole for two reasons.

When we drain out now we have to unclog a pipe on the bottom of the yellow square but it drains out our holding ditch also.

And when we flood our impoundment it sucks water out of the ditch and the wood duck hole.

So trying to separate it so we can hold water in the ditch during the summer and drain the wood duck hole for natural food growth.

And in the winter flood the wood duck hole and keep it separated from the ditch so we can pump water from the ditch to the impoundment without draining out the wood duck hole.
klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:54 pm

not to worried about cleaning pipes out we do that any ways. And our neighbor is kind enough to let us unblock his side to assist ours in draining. Nice guy

Just trying to get the easier way but if both are gonna be a fight might as well go for the cheaper option if they both do what we are trying to do.
klee7013
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon May 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Sounds like you are using gravity to flood the impoundment or are you pumping water out of the ditch? Where is the source of the water in the ditch coming from.? The swamp/wood duck hole? Does it get replenished? How.... when the river/creek comes up? Is the ditch isolated or does the water free flow in it and drain by itself. If so, you may need a flashboard at the ditch outlet.

Obviously, you are going to have to separate the two areas. Is the red line road elevated enough to keep the water from flowing over it so it could be used as a dike. If so, then you will probably have to dike the other two sides to keep the water from flowing towards the ditch. Am I right? Then you will have to put the water control structure under the road or on one of the new sides to drain the wood duck hole.

Looks like a nice set-up. Is difficult to tell exactly what to advise without seeing the land, but a fabricator of the risers would be able to advise you and would probably pay you a visit in the chance of a sale.

Good luck!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:05 pm

big green arrow is the way the water flows on our property

two blueish circles on the bottom are concrete pipes that the beaver keeps clogged and we have to bust them to drain out the wood duck hole, the ditch, and sometimes part of the impoundment.

actually when we have crazy rains it floods over the road but there is plenty of vegetation and as of right now have not had any trouble with washing out. It is at a level if we it got any higher it would flood alot our back side of the property and some woods which we dont want to do.
klee7013
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat May 11, 2013 7:26 am

If I'm reading your aerial photo right, the yellow box (woodie hole) is impounded by a beaver dam? At least the bottom side and maybe the left and right side? The top is impounded by the road. Is there an inlet pipe under the road, or is the woodie hole filled by rain or groundwater, rising river creek or what? I assume you have a manual way to cut off the draining of the hole thru the two concrete pipes? Obviously the beavers are doing it for you now, but you also need to open it up to drain?

If it were me, I would build a box like structure (Maybe a 4'x6') out of treated posts and 2"x4" welded wire that enclosed both ends of the concrete pipes. You would need to close off the top as well to keep the beavers from climbing over. If you exclude the beavers, then you would need to build a device to be able to slide a piece of treated plyboard or likewise to close off the upstream side of the pipes. So you would have to be able to unhitch the wire to be able to access the board. I'd try that first prior to spending big money on risers if that is the way your wetlands is formed. Are those pipes under a beaver dam or what? Just trying to come up with something practical that won't cost an arm and leg.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology