What to plant for central Illinois ducks??

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What to plant for central Illinois ducks??

Postby Claybuster11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 am

I am sure this has been discussed multiple times but I trying figure exactly what, when, and how to plant it to booost the amount of ducks I keep on my pond. I just leased a twenty acre impoundment in central Illinois that sits adjacent to two lakes and a large coal mine, within this large pond is a 1.5-2 acre island depending on the water level. I don't have the ability to control the water level but it averages 3-4 feet deep across the entire area. I have been told millet would be the ideal vegatation to grow but I want some more advice on what to plant and how to do it???
Claybuster11
Newb

Re: What to plant for central Illinois ducks??

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm

The state drains things like this. Then they plant corn and flood it after it's done in the fall. Not normal agricultural practice but I have literally hunted in what everyone else in the world would call a baited field. Lake Shelbyville walk-ins and Carlyle Lake walk-ins.
Try it sometime. Wanna go?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 am

Claybuster11 wrote:I am sure this has been discussed multiple times but I trying figure exactly what, when, and how to plant it to booost the amount of ducks I keep on my pond. I just leased a twenty acre impoundment in central Illinois that sits adjacent to two lakes and a large coal mine, within this large pond is a 1.5-2 acre island depending on the water level. I don't have the ability to control the water level but it averages 3-4 feet deep across the entire area. I have been told millet would be the ideal vegatation to grow but I want some more advice on what to plant and how to do it???

I've never done it before this year but on my ponds here in Hancock County that I hunt I bought a bag of Mossy Oak biologic "Guides Choice" which is a blend of different millets and sorghums. It can be planted in moist soil is what they say so I mowed down some of the weeds and broadcast the seed over the soil. I did this a day before a good steady rain so I think the seed made it down into the soil so I'm hoping for the best.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Claybuster11 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Biological seems to be a choice many go with, hope it all works out for you!
Claybuster11
Newb

Return to Conservation/Biology