would this piss you off? too?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

would this piss you off? too?

Postby jpm49878 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:33 am

For the last few years, I have adopted a spot on lake Mich where I clean up rubbish: eg... hulls, tires, car parts, blinds, you name it. I spend about one weekend doing this, oh and did I mention I have several disabilities. I have a prostetic lower back, and I have severe asthma. last week a friend and I have decided to move our blind out to our point. When we were done we decided to stay and hunt. About an hour had passed and the CO came for a visit. To make the story short he wrote me a ticket for taking my truck out there, eventhough I told him of my disabilities and that all of the cleaning I had been doing there. he didnt care and I told him I had permission from the state to do this. well we left and when I got home he soon came by and said that he was in the wrong and asked for the ticket back. i think what he did was he talked to the person who i refered him to and I think DU stepped in because they know what I am doing out there.
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:02 pm

He was in the wrong in the first place, but as you said...he did check with the person you told him to talk to.
Still, it takes a big man to admit he's wrong. I think he did the right thing in the end.

Keep up the positive work!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby David » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:43 pm

Don't forget he is just doing his job. I'm sure he hears excuses all the time and with the disabilities you discribed, he had no way to know if you were telling the truth other than checking with who you told him to check with. At least he did follow through after the ticket, was man enough to realize his mistake and take care of it.

So would I have been upset, probably, but I would have been happy with the end result. Get to know the COs they are a great source of information about duck movement and can help out in case of disputes.

By the way, great job with the volunteer work. I'm always throwing trash in my boat that others have dumped when I'm out hunting or fishing. But we could use more people like you that go after the big items like tires, car parts, etc. :thumbsup:
David
Lefty

Postby Michigan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:16 pm

A co's job is to enforce the law that is on the books. Not every officer is going to know about your situation. I would rather have an officer issue me a citation in the wrong then not make an effort to enforce the law in the first place. He realized that you have special circumstances and appologized for it. No harm done. :smile:
Michigan
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:03 pm

:withstupid: He was doing his job and doing it well as he did obviously do the follow up and then was man enough to come and see you to apologize.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology