Mixed Breed Ducks

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Mixed Breed Ducks

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 am

I hunt Saginaw bay and the last two years I have been shooting a lot of Green headed Black ducks. the Local Biologist tells me that the Mallards are very agressive breeders and will mix with just about anything. I am told that they are seeing some green head pintails and Gadwalls too. I have only seen the Blacks but what have you been seeing.

I ask him what to claim the birds as ( mallard or Black ) he said that it was my choice. and that they would like to see a lot of them shot to kind of clean up the mixed ducks. He also said that a good precentage of them can breed and are not steril as once thought.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:35 pm

:yes: MALLARDS WILL BREED ANYTHING THAT WILLSTAND STILL. I HAVE RAISE MALLARDS AND ENGLISH CALL DUCKS FOR YEARS. I HAVE HAD MY CALLS MIX WITH MY GREENWINGS, A MALLARD GOT INTO MY WOODDUCK PEN AND BELIEVE ME IT WAS NOT REALL PERTTY.
WE SEE ALOT OF MALLARD CROSS IN OUR AERA ESPCIALLY MALLRD GAD AND MALLRD PIN. WE SHOOT THEM IF WE SEE THEM, SOME ARE REALLY NICE MOUNTS AND GOOS CONVERSATION PROPS.

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm

one of the last ducks unlimited magazines had an article about this subject that was perdy interesting
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology