Swan permits

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Swan permits

Postby boney fingers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows why swan permits are given out only in a few states and not managed by flyway like everything else? Ive always assumed its a payoff to states that are impacted the most by the swans but not sure on this. It would be nice if my state got a few permits to allocate.
boney fingers
hunter

Re: Swan permits

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 am

I've always been told that due to the limited numbers of total birds it was more logical to offer permits in their main wintering areas as to offer more hunters a better chance of success. With X numbers allocated nationwide if each state or flyway was to receive their % of permits there would be very few people in each state that could obtain them...and limited chance for success. Whether or not this is the actual reason I am not certain but here in NC where a majority of the population winters one has a very good chance of harvest simply due to the larger numbers of birds in the area.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Shooting a Swan is way overrated. I shot my last one this season. It took me several years to kill my first one. I hunted them out in the Sounds from a boat with decoys and it was quite a challenge. This past season I was invited to ditch shoot one in a big field which was like shooting puppies in a basket. When 12 people go on a "hunt" and all 12 kill a Swan, including kids and a few who had never shot a shotgun in their life it kind of tells you what was going on. I was proud of my first one but after shooting my second from a ditch I'm done. I actually felt sorry for the poor things :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:13 am

I hear that....it's one thing to eradicate those ugly ass carp.....but shooting a giant, dopey, white swan is a little lame....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm

I shot mine in NoDak in 2000. Would I do it again.........no. That being said I have always heard that Pa. has the ability to issue permits but for some reason they do not. I have also heard that the state of Pa. does not want to deal with animal rights protests should they ever decide to issue them, additionally there supposedly is a question about distribution but I think that's B.S. because obviously they would issue via lottery with a limited number of permits available. Pa. will never get on board with Swan hunting. Heck look how long it took for them to allow us to shoot a white front and they don't even come around here...... :fingerhead:
don novicki
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 pm

don novicki wrote:I shot mine in NoDak in 2000. Would I do it again.........no. That being said I have always heard that Pa. has the ability to issue permits but for some reason they do not. I have also heard that the state of Pa. does not want to deal with animal rights protests should they ever decide to issue them, additionally there supposedly is a question about distribution but I think that's B.S. because obviously they would issue via lottery with a limited number of permits available. Pa. will never get on board with Swan hunting. Heck look how long it took for them to allow us to shoot a white front and they don't even come around here...... :fingerhead:

Ive heard the argument about antis before, but doesn't the fact that PA is one of the few (maybe the only) states that allow killing of mutes kind of fly in the face of that theory. In the old days, it was a big deal to get drawn to go to Pymy and shoot a goose; I think PA swan permits could generate the same kind of interest that a goose did back then, however, if the permits are issued in states that are negatively impacted the most by the wintering swans then Im OK. This post is a curiosity thing not a bitch.
boney fingers
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology