Native Grass Project

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Native Grass Project

Postby luie b » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 pm

I have a dilemma on my hands. I have an area of set aside on our property, about 2 acres total probably, maybe 3. It is around the edge of brushy timber and on the other side is all a big crop field. I'd like to establish this in native grass because I think it'd be a good start for my project of keeping more quail on our property. But here's the kicker. I can't burn this ground. It's old hayground that's been overgrown and provides really nothing for wildlife so I want to change that. But since I can't burn it because it's too risky of catching the whole timber on fire (this would be a serious deal) how am I going to prepare the soil for broadcasting the seed? I've thought about running the disc over it and maybe our field cultivator and then using a harrow to smoothen it out. I could possibly also borrow my uncle's terra tiller but that's a lot smaller and would take a while to do the whole area. What's a sure-fire way of planting native grass in this area? Remember burning isn't an option. I don't care how careful you are with it, the fire could very easily get out of hand because the timber's so brushy.
luie b
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology