BEAVERS HELP OR HINDERENCE

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

BEAVERS HELP OR HINDERENCE

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:44 pm

i was just wondering what your veiws on beavers are. i dont like them they moved into my leases and have got the place underwater and taking out or woods
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:01 pm

I love what beavers do. They make ome of the best natural waterfowl habitat. More habitat=more ducks.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby j6mccauslin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:56 pm

the beavers at our place have completely flooded a little creek. all fall it was full of woodies mallards and blacks. I think it helps give them more habitat and it was a lot of fun to hunt!!
j6mccauslin
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:06 pm

You are right, hunting that flooded timber with fast flying woodies can be some fun stuff.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 pm

it completly depends on the sitiuation, habitat types, and where and what they are damming. In most of my experiances, they make more habitat.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Cast_and_Blast » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:02 pm

I hate how they destroy so many trees, at least the place i hunt we have seen 4 beavers and hey just eat down my cover. at least a few hundred trees in this ankle deep marsh are chopped away by the beavers. Then they take them in this creek about 8 feet deep that flows off of the lake and it screws up the canoe users.
Cast_and_Blast
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 pm

yes i caught to at our farm they where causing trouble and the rest moved out we control the water so its at a level to get to our blinds aesy and a place where the ducks can get at there food they where blocking up or box and it was hell

i do agree though in different situations it helps
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby GreenWings&Goldens » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:30 pm

Beavers blocked a creek that would always stay open no matter how cold it got. Now it is not moving as fast and freezes. That creek would always have birds in it when it was super cold, not anymore.
GreenWings&Goldens
hunter

Postby sigep538 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:38 pm

well it depends... in most areas they arnt that bad but in GTRs they block the water trying to drain thus killing the trees once they leaf out, also with out a drawing down of water your Macroinvertabrate producivity will not be as high. it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish as said earlier..
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Re: BEAVERS HELP OR HINDERENCE

Postby Poke Boater » Fri May 11, 2007 4:13 am

illinoisduckboy15 wrote:i was just wondering what your veiws on beavers are. i dont like them they moved into my leases and have got the place underwater and taking out or woods

I bet with bird and beaver counts like that you keep your neighbors well fed. Opinions on beaver's co-existing with us humans is mostly negative. In Canada it's common to see "beaver patrol's" control. They stop traffic to blow a dam for flood ? control.

When they are taken away by many means the dam is blasted sky high. The 3-4 acres of water drains away leaving a brown dead zone not fit for man or beast. Ducks n critters need alot of water. Duck hunters and their retrievers need alot of water.

A weed is a plant out of place. Beavers could be out of place too. Maybe in your place, unwanted no matter what. It depends on one's ideas related to competition with man's caretaking of his own land.

It's beaver for dinner at your place. :wink: If your trees belong to someone else why the concern? Water too deep would muck up a lease where duck food is planted. Wading would be out of the question too.

I rate the beaver pretty high where I hunt. I like to drift up on them while they sleep on the edge of their lodges. They wake up madder n heck! :mad:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm

ok i dont eat beaver and that happened at our place like 20 years ago the things had the place swamped so shure enough grandpa got some dynamite and then kaboomb
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:12 pm

oh by the way try getting a 75 year old man severely stricken with parkinsons disease and he just wont quit into a blind that is in more than 3 feet of water
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology