Planting Corn

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Planting Corn

Postby quackpipe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:14 pm

I have a few fields that some local ranchers let me use for hunting. I want to get these guys to plant (or let me plant) corn in their field. I would like to plant 20 or 40 acres of corn and curious what the cost would be. These fields are just used for cattle presently. I want to start talking to these guys now so that next season I will have everything rolling. I need to know how much the seed costs, the process of planting the corn, how to care for the corn when its growing (fertilizer, water, etc.), and the best way to harvest the corn to attract waterfowl. If any of you have any experience raising corn for food plots, please let me know what I am possibly getting myself into. Also let me know what you pay a farmer to do this on 20 or 40 acres.
Thanks,
Quack
quackpipe
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:40 am

Not sure about up there but in Oklahoma you are looking at a TON of work and money. We are farmers and I think your best bet would be to let a local farm it on halvers or something like that. that way you don't have to plow,disk,plant,plow again,fertilize,and then harvest. Just a thought....
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:38 pm

theres a few key things that are needed for success with ducks
roundup ready corn that is suitable for your area. i cant give ou a cost off the top of my head

this works best because theres no garbage in the field after harvest and theres no compitiion

if its the 1st year as a field the ground will need ro be considerable worked over ie disked plowed also if you spend a day picking rocks after disking that helps

finally dont harvest the corn and flood it
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology