A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Grain Sorghum (Milo) for ducks??

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Anyone ever used this for feed?
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:25 pm

I would think that the ducks would eat just about anything. I have always known people to plant corn, millet, or rice. Although, I do not see why milo would not work.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:33 pm

i'm pretty sure milo is great food source. i know of several resting fields planted with it.. always holds large numbers.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:34 am

I planted milo this year, I have a field that it flooded into and the ducks are loving it! The only drawback I see is that my milo got pretty tall (waist high), so we actually stomped it down into the knee high water. The ducks weren't using it until then. And, the blackbirds really tore it up before the ducks ever had a chance.But, it was extremelly cheap, I bought the milo at a feed store $5 for 50lbs. it is actually feed milo for poultry, but it came up excellent! Next year I guess I'll have to get a scarecrow!!! :getdown:
Gruberguy
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology