edges of ponds

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

edges of ponds

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:27 pm

If I were to plant something around the edge of the pond, say a 15 yd. strip, would the ducks come onto land to eat it? I have always wanted to be able to plant something, but I can not control the water level in the ponds. Also, if I did so, what would be the best thing to plant? I was leaning towards milo.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:31 pm

i always plant biologic waterfowl mix.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby j6mccauslin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:32 pm

do you plant that biologic waterfowl mix on dry land or in the water??
j6mccauslin
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Where I plant it is a steep bank during that time. I have 120acres of controlled water. But it’s used to flood rice and about the time it needs to be planted here (AUG, SEPT) the reservoir is extremely low.. maybe 25 acres flooded. only 7-15ft deep water is left. So I am forced to plant 100's of YDS away from the water at that time. i plant a low spot that will get maybe 1 to 2 ft deep at most, and plant small patches long the edges of the reservoir. it always damp but don't get flood until first rains about end of Oct to NOV. when planting the pond i just throw along the edges to where i think the water will rise to. and all the way back to the water. By time birds get here it will be tall and flooded. Note that it really and its not hard to make a good location to plant. I’m sure you can get it to grow anywhere that has water. If you have not check the price its about $8o a acre or $20 don't start to thrive until the seeds are about 1-4" under water. being it is a rice product. 1/4Acre
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology