First timer thinking about buying land

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

First timer thinking about buying land

Postby sodfather » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Well I am thinking about buying some property near me. Its only 10Acres of wet woods. I was thinking about cutting down some trees and digging in some pot holes planting grasses for ducks to feed on. My question is 10 acres to small of an area to do such a thing. I would love to manage this for duck hunting..
sodfather
hunter

Re: First timer thinking about buying land

Postby AR Dave » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:31 am

10 acres can be more than plenty - but it's not a matter of "if you build it they will come".
What's the surrounding set up - ducks around? Close to a river, lake, rice fields?
AR Dave
hunter

Postby sodfather » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, it has farmer fields around it not corn, hay fields. There are large bodies of water around within 5-8 miles. There are birds around in the area just not huge numbers. Im worries how much money its going to take to cut the trees, dig in like 2 pot holes and plant feed. Also how much its going to cost to control water levels and how long it would take till I see results. I know these questions cant be answered completely but just looking for an idea... Thanks
sodfather
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

You'll probably spend a lot more money than you realize. Shouldn't hunt it for years, once you have ducks imprinting. It'll be about clearing, shaping the hole, and spraying, planting, and feeding. Good Luck with your decision.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Before you start digging in a "wetland" you may want to discretely check with your local NRCS office and get a soil map of the property. If Big Brother doesn't like what you are doing it will cost you more than the land is worth.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby kckong » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 am

Is it green timber? Do you have to build a levee? add water control structures? If there is ducks in the area they should find it quickly. But with 10 acres you would have to hunt it sparingly ( once or twice a week at most). Is it worth it is completely different for everyone. On a good year could you take 100 ducks or 200 ducks? Do you have enough money to where that even matters? Is there a roost near by? Maybe a large farm pond ducks like within a half mile that no one has permission to hunt.
kckong
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology