Building mallard Hen boxes

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Building mallard Hen boxes

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:30 pm

I was interested in building mallard hen boxes. I have seen how they make them and I would like to know when the hens lay there eggs. I have several ponds that I hunt and I would like to put hen boxes out so they will nest there. Have any of you guys done this before. Placing hen boxes where you hunt??
Tyler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:42 pm

I know wood ducks use them alot, I would put them at the end of the slough if thats what you hunt. I don't think it would matter if they are there or not in the fall.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:57 pm

Wood Duck boxes and Mallard hen nests are 2 completly seperate types of structures.

Which are you after? I'll be posting up the instructions and the "how to" later this week when I get time.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

hen boxes

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:18 pm

Ive have made 4 wood duck boxes allready but I need to know also when do I need to have those out?? ALso I am wanting to build Hen boxes and Im not exactly sure on how you make those. I have a general Idea on how you make them. I have 7 ponds in one feild and ducks go to every one of them and I would like to place a hen box per pond or have 2 hen boxes per pond. THat would be alot of work building boxes. Then I have ponds in other feilds and today I counted 12 mallards on one pond which has 6 drakes and 6 hens and they were all paired up. I believe those are local ducks so I would like to get boxes out so they have babies in that area. Then when it comes winter the babies will hopefully return and bring there friends.
A bad day of duck hunting is always better than a good day at school
Tyler
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:50 pm

Better get those wood duck boxes by no later than the middle of next month in AL sooner the better. End of March for the northern states

I'll post the instructions for Wood ducks boxes and the Mallard hen nests on a seperate topic here in this forum. :eek:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology