Need help with Cane

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Need help with Cane

Postby JSSwift1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Okay, I have 125 acres on the coast and all but 25 acres or so is covered in cane now, this is keeping the birds from using the area at all, and instead flying over to the land adjacent to me. Any help in how to kill or at least control the cane?
JSSwift1
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:35 pm

:eek: Sorry to hear that, because the only way to really get rid of them is to cut them down and to pull up the rhizomes. Rhizomes are the root like structures. With you living near the coast and in a well federalized area I believe there are laws about spraying. But I you wanted to You could try diesel. Get a sprayer and mix with 1/4 water. Just do this to test. and see if it works. or you can bush-hog it down Close to the ground and disk it all up. but anything you do you Will have to plant something else there or it will eventually come back. Personally I would bush-hog disk and plant rye grass
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby portahunter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Well, the best way to kill cane is to flood it with saltwater. That's what they do on the refuges to knockit back, but you may not want to do that if you even have access to be able to pump saltwater in. Otherwise you don't have many options. You can disc it for a few years and plant it with rye to see if that'll wee it out. I'd wait until the cane starts to sprout in the spring and then disc it, because that'll give time for the seeds to sprout and then if you disc it you might kill the plant as opposed to if you disced them before they sprouted, all you'd be doing is knocking down the old plants and shuffleing the seeds around under the ground. They'd still grow back as thick as before.
portahunter
hunter

Postby billy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:17 pm

You could try Round Up or the aquatic version Rodeo. It won't be cheap so you should test to make sure it will kill it. We had a piece of marsh sprayed for phragmites and it cost about $100 pea acre to be done with a crop duster. You want to make sure you get any necessary permits but it can be done for noxious and invasive species.
billy
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology