Creating a wood duck pond habitat

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Creating a wood duck pond habitat

Postby DE-DuckNBass » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:15 pm

I have a L shaped pit/pond in my woods that holds water year round except for summer, right now it's 3-4 ft deep. It's maybe 50 yards from my ditch that always has 4ft water flowing through I have seen wood ducks on my ditch every year. My family had a select cut of the timber and its opened it up some, So here's my idea create a flyway from the ditch, trim/cut certain trees back, build and place some boxes out, and maybe dig it out.. Any ideas and helpful info appreciated and I will also try to take some pics and post them :thumbsup:
Can't Hit Ducks Club - Pro Staff
DE-DuckNBass
hunter

Re: Creating a wood duck pond habitat

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Plant some oak trees and drag some big logs to the edge of your pond for day roost.
BBK
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 pm

I would not trim any of the trees if your goal is wood ducks. I live in the west where there are not alot of trees and the wood ducks I kill year in an out are in the thickest drainages. I think they prefer to swim away from danger and hide in cover like a pheasant or quail if that makes sense. But I agree with last post, half submerged logs are good. Picture a cross between a painted turtle and a pheasant and thats ideal for wood ducks.(Habitat wise)
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby kckong » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:30 am

You could try building wood duck boxes. Depending where you live. Wood ducks like little ponds in the middle of the woods, creeks, and flooded timber.
kckong
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology