Building The Perfect Duck Pond or Flooded Field

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Building The Perfect Duck Pond or Flooded Field

Postby absolute1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:11 pm

I am interested in building a small pond for waterfowl to land on my property. What size should it be and what is the fastest and best way to go about it. Also should i plant a crop around it? We have alot of geese and ducks flying over but never seem to want to land. We also orderd mallards for this spring to raise and put in our pond. Hopefully you all can help! Thanks
absolute1
Newb

Postby H20fwlkillr » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:10 pm

I would build it as large as possible. Make sure it has irregular banks (not a big circle or square) gradual sloping banks and alot of water 1-3 feet deep, unless you are trying to attract divers. You can plant some crops around it, but I've had better luck with wetland and aquatic plants attracting them in. Keep in mind that ducks will land where they want to, your pond may or may not attract them enough to come in.

You will have to train your ducks to stay at your pond. Be prepared to have 50-75% mortality on ducks left to fend for themselves.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby absolute1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks, should i use a liner or will it be okay by its self if we pack it well?
absolute1
Newb

Postby portahunter » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Do you plan on hunting it or are you just trying to attract waterfowl for viewing purposes.
portahunter
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:06 am

It all depends on your soil type. Contact your local NRCS office. They can help identify your soils, give technical advice and let you know if you qualify for Gov programs to off set the cost of building.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology