We have a beaver pond

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

We have a beaver pond

Postby frostypawsryan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:05 am

We have a beaver pond on our property in Northern Michigan. It is devoid of ducks. I have put up several woodies houses, that do get used, but other than that you never see ducks here. We have several goose families nest here each year.
The water is about 8 feet deep in the middle, and there are several ponds, covering about 8 acres. Any suggestions of what I could plant to get more birds here?
frostypawsryan
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:55 am

if u could lower the water during the spring and summer in any sections and try to plant jap millet on the mud flats that would work.. or if u could lower the water level permanently, to say a foot or two, alot of natural vegetation should grow.. if not try sago pondweed, as that will grow in the deeper water and once established will grow very well.. or u could try some duck potato, hardstem bulrush, etc... the list goes on... search the web u can get alot of good ideas on there
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:56 pm

I kind of have the same situation. What is sago pondweed? How dies it grow? How much does it cost? Thanks.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm

its moderately expensive, depends on how much you need.. its basically a thin, stringy submerged(completely underwater) plant that grows from shallow water to deep water depending on the water quality... diving ducks eat the tubers and mallard and other ducks eat the seeds... its really good if u can get it established... once established it will fill in the whole area and the ducks love it. you plant it by speading tubers throughout your pond. they are usually weighted with staples. i got mine through wildlife nurseries inc...i usually get alot of my specialty seed from them, such as duck potato and bulrush and sago pondweed... they have high quality seed and plugs or whatever u are looking for... look them up, give them a call and they will send u a brochure.. they are very helpful
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:08 pm

Make some artifical island to provide more nesting habitat. On the same note it you can get muskrats established, waterfowl use thier house for nesting locations
phutch30
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 pm

what would be the best for stock ponds that I can not controll the water level in?
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Maybe some corn just plant it on one side of the lake and the ducks will dig it just my.02
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby chcopela » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I will be trying this method of water control this year in our beaver ponds.

[url]http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/wmh/13_4_7.pdf[url][/url]
chcopela
hunter

Postby Da guide » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

we have a beaver pond in n michigan too. it is home to hundreds of ducks and geese each year. you need any info email me i can hook u up with the right people or let u know what will work best for ur situation.
Da guide
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:59 pm

There are many native plants that you can use around your ponds that will draw them in. Just a few to name arrowhead, bulrush, spike rush, rice cutgrass, etc. Let me know if you want to know some more.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology