what does it take to become a........

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

what does it take to become a........

Postby wingshooter2009 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:02 pm

game warden? :help:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed May 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Generally a law enforcement degree. Where I come from, people tend to go largely to a school on the edge of the Boundary Waters called Vermillion Community College. They seem to work well to place you in jobs as well.
http://www.vcc.edu/explore/programs.cfm
Hope that helps, theres probably a few different ways to do it.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:56 pm

I'm not sure if every state is the same now, but it appears most GWs are full LEOs now. Many have 4 yr BS and + a 2 yr LE degree.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby portahunter » Thu May 31, 2007 6:12 am

I know the wardens in texas have morea authority than a regular police officer does. They can do everythign the regular police can plus more. Right now in texas you just need a BS degree to apply for the Game Warden Academy.
portahunter
hunter

Postby sigep538 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:38 pm

In Arkansas 4 year degree and or 4 years of law enforcment.
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby Shiner07 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:42 pm

portahunter wrote:I know the wardens in texas have morea authority than a regular police officer does. They can do everythign the regular police can plus more. Right now in texas you just need a BS degree to apply for the Game Warden Academy.

My girlfriend's dad is a Texas GW so I know alot and heard alot of stories. You do need a BS degree to apply. Texas GW are a little political though, either your a GW legacy or you know somebody in order for you get in! Weird huh? Its a big tradition! to pass on the family job.

If you have any questions just ask or PM me.
Shiner07
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:58 pm

NC's training is harder than the navy seals, i know 4 gw's personally, they also have more authority than any cop in the state, they can search you without probable cause, :thumbsup:
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Rdneckhnter09 wrote:NC's training is harder than the navy seals, i know 4 gw's personally, they also have more authority than any cop in the state, they can search you without probable cause, :thumbsup:

Have you been A GW, or A Navy Seal?

Yes GW Have as much power within a state as a federal police officer
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:01 pm

no but 2 of them GWs i know have been, and they tell me its tougher, and also the instructors will tell you its tougher than the seals, try this, they were doing a practice raid one day, the trainee kicks the door in, WHAMM gets all of his teeth knocked out by the but of a shotgun, i think that counts as tough
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby greenster » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:01 am

They must not of had to swim 4 miles a day, Be drowned, endure "hell Week" . And learn how to disarm a bomb in 30 sec or you die.

Meeting the butt of a gun is only a small price to pay not to have to assassinate or wage war, especially when you know you will not be honored for your duties and your existence will most likely be denied.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 am

they pretty much do that cept for the bomb thang, i'm tell'n ya man i wouldnt want to go through neither.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Rdneckhnter09 wrote:they can search you without probable cause, :thumbsup:

Nope, not legally. Not a state matter, but a federal one. At the very least, they must have specific, articulable facts leading to a reasonable suspicion that you are, have been, or will immediately be committing a crime before they can search you. They, along with ALL government actors, must have probable cause to search you, unless incident to an arrest.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Bayou state shutterbug » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 am

In Louisiana you have to have a degree (any field but wildlife is recommended) or substitute for experience. You also have to take a pre-employment exam and then go througth another battery of interviews and testing if selected. Here it is very political as well, you gotta know somebody just about to get in. The academy is 6 months long and supposedly tougher than our state troopers. They are running up to 12 miles a day by the end of the academy as well as swimming in full uniform with gear and vest. If you fail any aspect of the academy you are kicked out and have to apply again for another job.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bayou state shutterbug
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology