Do Carp have an impact on waterfowl??

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Do Carp have an impact on waterfowl??

Postby Ducks101 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Ive been wondering about this all week because carp can destroy lake's and pond's... My piont is that carp eat all the veggitation and im wondering if this has a direct effect on waterfowl population. Less food less duck's???? Tom[/b]
Ducks101
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby macdaddykeefer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:48 pm

thats a good point...i'd hafta say they do cuz like u said...less veg=less duck food...itd be interesting to hear a biologist view on this...
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby Minnesota » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:10 am

I have heard that they do affect duck habitat. They eat vegetation and other food. In the process they stir up the bottom, reducing water clarity(which can further affect vegetation). One of the lakes on my scouting run was sprayed with roatone to kill the fish last fall. I'll find out this fall if ducks use this lake more than they have in the past.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby smrducks » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 pm

i have heard carp stur up the mud and ducks like clean water if you can in the spring drain it plant jap millet and reflood in the fall
smrducks
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:06 pm

I've read in a few places that carp ruin duck ponds, they keep the lake so turbid and murky that lots of plants can't grow. I've seen first hand when a beaver floods a pond and raises the water level so carp can survive winters, what happens to the pond. The pond stops producing ducks, the water quality starts to suck.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 pm

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Anatinae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Here's a quick summary, and I apologize for some of the technical jargon.

Many fish can have impacts on aquatic systems.

But, let's talk about carp.....

Carp sure can and do have negative impacts on wetlands used by waterfowl. For one, they do graze on some vegetation that otherwise would provide food or cover for invertebrates that are in turn used by ducks. More sinister, though, are their impact on suspending sediment, that in turn shades the water column and bottom of a wetland, thereby having major impacts on overall plant production, and consequently on invertebrate production.

In addition, since they can become so abundant they can compound nutrient inputs (especially phosphorus and nitrogen) in the water column, by defecating in the water and by stirring up sediment which contains a lot of nutrients itself, that further shades the water column by promoting growth of algae. Not that algae is all bad, but when a wetland is already in a turbid state the natural algae in the water, further fueled by high nutrient levels, can become extremely abundant since there are no invertebrates or zooplankton to keep it in check.

If nothing changes (e.g. winter kill, fish toxicant treatment, or a series of good dry summers), the wetland will remain in a stable turbid state, and the bottom line is less than perfect for waterfowl.
Some people can live without wild things......I cannot!!
Anatinae
hunter

Postby Marshmaker » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Anatinae is correct. However, he didn't mention the impact that the turbid water, extra nutrients, fecal matter, etc. have on BOD (biological oxygen demand), which is a fancy way of saying that the oxygen is practically used up. Plants won't grow with the lack of light; other fish and even invertebrates don't do well with the lack of oxygen. No plant growth also tends to increase water temperature (no shade), which just makes things worse. When these animals, including the carp, get trapped by declining water levels (for example in man-made impoundments in areas managed for waterfowl), they die and their decaying flesh provides the conditions that will ultimately lead to botulism in ducks and other birds that eat the maggots produced. Not a pretty picture, but all too serious, particularly during periods of drought.
Some of our larger managed areas, such as Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in Central NY, have exclusion devices on major water control structures to keep carp out of their managed marshes. Unfortunately, high water in the spring sometimes flows over the dikes, bringing more carp into the areas. A lot of time and money are spent trying to manage the carp problem!
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot." - Aldo Leopold
Marshmaker
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:25 pm

This biologist agrees with Anatinae and Marshmaker! :thumbsup:

However this is typically more of an issue with the exotic Asian Silver and Bighead Carp in my neck of the woods.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Postby littlesturgeon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 pm

i hate carp i find every way possible to kill those things( gaf or bowfish'em
littlesturgeon
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology