Duck Hunting Forum banner

Japanese Millet... or is it?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  smrducks 
#1 ·
I don't know exactly what this stuff is that my dad has bought. I am skeptical of it. He found something online that the website claims is NOT Japanese millet. They call it Mallard Millet. You are supposed to be able to hunt on it the year you plant it. We have already bought it and planted it throughout our duck marsh. It has sprouted and shot up at least a foot and a half in less than a month. It is growing like crazy and doesnt seem to mind the fact that its in water. Everything about it is almost identical to japanese millet, so I understand.
Supposedly this stuff creates bigger seed heads. Has anybody heard of this?! Is it phoney? IS it japanese millet? WILL we get in trouble hunting over it?

#2 ·
i believe it is just a variety of millet. I have looked into using it myself, and it is similar to millet, but like you said has bigger heads and seeds. I have never used it myself but if it is like Jap. Millet you will be fine. I have a feeling the ducks will love it. Also, it is legal to hunt over just as long as you dont manipulate it in any way other than normal farming practices.

#3 ·
There are many species of millet, which can be broken down into Two mail category's. what you are describing sounds like a hybrid of finger millet, or African. It is most likely, germinated and designed for aquatic environments needing a high yield crop.

Finger millet

#4 ·
Plants are VERY easily modifided by exposing them to diferent chemicals to produce varities, more folage, moes seeds ect. i wouldent worry about it if it is thriving than go with it!

#6 ·
Its hard to tell Ill have to go back and check... it doesnt really make much of a difference anymore. Im sad to say that we just got too much rain and we couldnt keep the water off of it enough. The majority of it has been killed. There are still some patches but its not really enough to matter.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.