Raising baby mallard ducks

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Raising baby mallard ducks

Postby ducklover1804 » Tue May 04, 2004 2:49 pm

I need help or some information on raising baby mallard ducks. We have a lot of cats and 2 dogs. I don't have anything to keep them in outside to where nothing won't get them. I keep them in my room in a 30 gallon tank with food and water. But the tank stays all messy, dirty, and wet. It also smells, lol! I got 3 of them but I can't give them away because they're not supposed to be separated and they have to have a mate. Or in other words, they're not solitary. So if anyone can help or give me some advice on this little problem I have then I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
ducklover1804

Postby PuddleHopper » Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm raising a few ducks myself and I put them outside at about 6 weeks old in a small pen. as they got bigger I let them roam the yard while I'm home. We have a fence so that keeps predators out and I dont think a hawk will bother them. If you can't build a pen maybe a medium doghouse will do to put them in during the night. They can roam free when they are full grown unless there is something they can't get away from. I don't think a cat would be a problem unless they are BIG cats. Our dogs are afraid of them but they are also afraid of the qauil so that doesn't say alot. As for raising them when they are ducklings find a way to put a lid on the tank and keep the cage clean. Brooding is the worst part of raising ducks.

Hopes this helps

Mike
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Illegal?

Postby DuckyGrl88 » Mon May 17, 2004 4:29 pm

I raise mallard ducks for an ffa project at my school. Recently i was told that it is illegal to raise mallard ducks in Illinois or that it was illegal to keep the in capticity. Is this true?
DuckyGrl88

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 3:48 pm

I don't know what is illegal in Illinois but here in OK we can't have wood ducks without a liscense. Maybe you have to have a liscense for Mallards in Illinois?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:54 pm

How old are mallard ducks before they can fly? Mine are 2 months old and appear full grown but I put them out side and something got one last night , so I put it back in the cage with some chickens I have. They were both females...

Postby PuddleHopper » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:54 pm

I figured they would be able to fly by now. Maybe they can you just havn't seen it. If they are tame then they wont fly very often. It would be hard for a tame duck to get away from nocturnal predators especially since the ducks are normaly asleep. I pen mine up at night but let them roam free during the day. But if that doesnt do the trick you need to do some varmit huntin. Good luck
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:33 pm

make a cage out of posts and chicken wire.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Re: Raising baby mallard ducks

Postby Woodywoodduck » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:39 pm

ducklover1804 wrote:I need help or some information on raising baby mallard ducks. We have a lot of cats and 2 dogs. I don't have anything to keep them in outside to where nothing won't get them. I keep them in my room in a 30 gallon tank with food and water. But the tank stays all messy, dirty, and wet. It also smells, lol! I got 3 of them but I can't give them away because they're not supposed to be separated and they have to have a mate. Or in other words, they're not solitary. So if anyone can help or give me some advice on this little problem I have then I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Many things can be used to keep these 3 ducklings in. A 30 gallon tank, Isn't 1 of them!

A Dog Kennel/Crate will work, Kiddie Pools will Work, Small area inclosed with wood will work!

You should have a Heat lamp on them so they have a place to stay warm....It should be set up, that there is 1 spot were the Ducklings can get into the heat and then get away from it so they do not over heat......Heat should be Regulated Week by Week to Decrease the Heated area, 5-10 Degrees each week........Food and Water Should Not be under the heat lamp!

They will be able to go outside at 4-5 weeks of age, should be ready to fly at 8 weeks.

If these are Wild Style Mallards, Don't matter if they are Tame or not, they will Fly....If they are Ruens which are a Tame Duck that LOOKS Like Mallards, they Will NEVER Fly. To Big and to short of wings!

If they are Wild Style Mallards, nothing you can do to keep them from flying other then to Clip feathers from 1 wing or to Pen them up!

As for Critters getting them, Critter proof your yard or keep them in a Pen!
I have Ducks and don't have a problem with Critters getting mine, I taught the dog to Chase off the Critters when they come a calling to dine on my Ducks.....Gets alittle Stinky when a Skunk shows up though! :laughing:
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:47 pm

Not really good at raising them, I'm alitlle better at retirement :toofunny:
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:41 am

I beleive you have to have a Federal permit on any waterfowl being it is a migratory bird. Also maybe state permits too, depending on state.

The Feds to not want the gene pool contaminated with domesticated ducks in the wild duck genes.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:35 pm

Captive-reared mallard ducks have permit exceptions but are required to be marked by federal law. If you meet certain criteria for mallard ducks you may - alive or dead, or their eggs may be acquired, possesees, sold, traded, donated, transported, and disposed of by any person without a permit, subject to certain conditions. Taking of live mallard ducks or their eggs from the wild is illegal.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brandy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:18 pm

We have mallard ducks. Anyways we have a one day old baby inside our house. And it will not eat anything or drink anything we have the right feed and water and light. We got online and read on what we needed to do again. Because she has had babies before and we took them away and raised them inside and we had no problem until now. What do I need to do please relpy
Brandy
Newb

Postby Brandy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:24 pm

[quote="Woodywoodduck"][quote="ducklover1804"]I need help or some information on raising baby mallard ducks. We have a lot of cats and 2 dogs. I don't have anything to keep them in outside to where nothing won't get them. I keep them in my room in a 30 gallon tank with food and water. But the tank stays all messy, dirty, and wet. It also smells, lol! I got 3 of them but I can't give them away because they're not supposed to be separated and they have to have a mate. Or in other words, they're not solitary. So if anyone can help or give me some advice on this little problem I have then I would really appreciate it. Thank you![/quote]

Many things can be used to keep these 3 ducklings in. A 30 gallon tank, Isn't 1 of them!

A Dog Kennel/Crate will work, Kiddie Pools will Work, Small area inclosed with wood will work!

You should have a Heat lamp on them so they have a place to stay warm....It should be set up, that there is 1 spot were the Ducklings can get into the heat and then get away from it so they do not over heat......Heat should be Regulated Week by Week to Decrease the Heated area, 5-10 Degrees each week........Food and Water Should Not be under the heat lamp!

They will be able to go outside at 4-5 weeks of age, should be ready to fly at 8 weeks.

If these are Wild Style Mallards, Don't matter if they are Tame or not, they will Fly....If they are Ruens which are a Tame Duck that LOOKS Like Mallards, they Will NEVER Fly. To Big and to short of wings!

If they are Wild Style Mallards, nothing you can do to keep them from flying other then to Clip feathers from 1 wing or to Pen them up!

As for Critters getting them, Critter proof your yard or keep them in a Pen!
I have Ducks and don't have a problem with Critters getting mine, I taught the dog to Chase off the Critters when they come a calling to dine on my Ducks.....Gets alittle Stinky when a Skunk shows up though! :laughing:[/quote][quote][list][/list][/quote]
Brandy
Newb

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 am

I have raised waterfowl for years. right now my hen is been on her second set(15 eggs) and is due off the 16th of july. the first clutch was pulled at 5 days, right now they are feathering well, at 90 days they should have enough flight feathersto be released. we release ours in a oxbow reserve(no hunting). i also release the old drake with them. with the numbers of wild ducks in the area and the drake is pure wild, and the ducklings, are never handled, so peopleizing dont happen.
I keep the babies in a 55 fish tank till they are 2weeks old, at this time i put them in a 5x5 3ft pen, topped,made of 1/4 in mesh wire. i keep a food dish, wild game started feed, and i use a 2ft pond, old horse feeind dish, thy remain outside till release time.
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology