planting jap millet in Virginia....didn't work

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

planting jap millet in Virginia....didn't work

Postby vtfish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 am

Hello,
I have a two acre beaver pond on my property and every summer the water will decrease due to lack of rain. Last year i got a 50lb bag of jap millet from southern states and broadcasted the seeds over the mud flat edges of pond. I went back two weeks later to hopefully see millet and I found nothing but mud. It was August when I did this and we didn't get rain for atleast four days after broadcasting. I didn't put any lime or fertilizer down. I just broadcasted the seeds over the mud where the water had decreased. Any help would be great. I would love to plant something again this year. thanks a lot.

chris :beer:
vtfish
Newb

Re: planting jap millet in Virginia....didn't work

Postby beau_cephus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Do yourself a favor and send off a soil sample. My brother and I planted japanese millet around our farm pond here in Alabama last summer with minimal results. I sent samples from our pond last week to Auburn University soil test lab, and it came back too low of ph and too low of phosphorous. We will be putting out 2.5tons/acre of lime and 60-110-40lbs/acre of N-P-K.

Im sure Virginia Tech offers the same service. It was $7 for the soil test and it takes out all guess work.
beau_cephus
hunter

Postby vtfish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

thanks for the reply. I will do a soil sample but is it fine to put lime and fertilizer in the water?
vtfish
Newb

Postby beau_cephus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:33 pm

You would put the fertilizer and lime out when waterlevels are down enough in the spring/summer. You would want to put the lime out and incorporate it in the soil before you plant. You can put the fertilizer out during planting.
beau_cephus
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology