Japanese Millet

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Japanese Millet

Postby tdbduckhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:29 pm

I need any help with the planting of japanese millet. When to plant, how much to plant, how wet or muddy to have ground, when to draw water down for planting, any advise will be helpful. Also where to get seed would be helpful. Thanks.
tdbduckhunter
Newb

Postby ramsey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:45 pm

Plant as near 60-75 days pre-frost as you can estimate. Broadcast 20 pounds per acre in as soupy a mudfalt as possible.
ramsey
DHC Sponsor

Jap Millet

Postby Surmarshman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:48 pm

I planted 100 lbs of Jap Millet last year. I planted some with a drill and tractor and some by hand. I just tossed it our on moist ground. Make sure to plant it early enough that it gets a good start prior to summer heat. I live in Nebraska and planted twice last year. The first time in Late May and once in mid June. The June planting came up but never grew to maturity. At around 45 to 60 days I flooded the area. I found that the millet that was tall enough to stand out of the water survived, the rest did not. This worked well as I was working for vegitation around my wetland. Both the drilled and hand planted millet grew well. Early ducks (as well as many other birds) used these feed plots extensively. If you have the means to keep the millet flooded into fall you will be pleased with how many birds use the plots, especially as a roosting/feeding location during the night.

As long as you do not manipulate the mature millet you should be legal with the Feds.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting.
Take em'
Surmarshman
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology