What about pen raising duck's

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What about pen raising duck's

Postby duckdog » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 pm

There alot of people talking on other site's about pen raised pheasant's being turned loose in the wild when season open's so they have bird's to shoot. What would happen if people were to raise duck's and when they are ready to go turn them loose in the wild. Would they make it, and if they did would they breed, migrate, do all the duck thing's. Don't know about the law's of raising them, I know there are duck's that look like mallard's but are called ruin's(domestic duck's) I do know they are fairly fast grower's probaly inexpensive to buy, and raise( don't know for sure) Let's here some input about what you people think, if it would work what a way to boost the population!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:57 am

It is against Federal law to release pen raised migratory birds.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby duckdog » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Thank's for the info. Did'nt no that
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:46 pm

I know of a couple of hunting resorts here in south louisiana that pen raise ducks and release them during a customers hunt. They have an employee with the hunter and one back at the lodge each with radios so they can they can communicate back and forth. Birds are released every few minutes for the customers in the nearby ponds to shoot . I guess my question is the birds that don't get killed, don't return to the flight pens so would it be considered the same thing as releasing pen raised birds under federal law?
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby aaron » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:51 pm

I'm thinking that operation may seriously want to pony up on it's laws as I'm just sure as can be that they could be looking at some very serious legal problems.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:56 pm

well a friend of mine was looking into buying out one of the resorts i was talking about and contacted ldwf and from what he was told everything about the operation was legal. they even came out to check the place out with him. he is also a police officer so i know he would'nt get into anything that could bring him legal trouble

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:01 am

There is a huge difference between a game farm that where they raise birds to shoot and a person releasing migratory birds into the wild-the later is indeed illegal. It is a Federal law. Ask the USFWS if you want to know the details.

Admin2
hunter

Postby aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:39 pm

I think that he's talking about releasing migratory birds for the purpose of shooting, kinda like chukars or pheasants on a preserve; which I believe is fine but I don't think it is if we're talking migratory birds.
aaron
hunter

Postby aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:41 pm

Of course, if the USFWS doesn't have a problem with it then....
aaron
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:28 pm

How would you do the ducks like the pheasant, quail, and chuckar preserves. These upland birds you can plant. What do you do for a duck?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:12 pm

I understand what you mean about the game farms and that must be what it is listed as to keep it legal.

The way i have seen them do it is that they have one person with you in the surrounding ponds and at least one person back at the flight pens each with radios. The one with you tells the guy back at the pen to release a few birds, you shoot these when they come in and once you have retrieved them he calls for more birds to be released. Keep in mind that these birds are flight trained in a cage only about 250 ft long so they are'nt used to flying very far. Not much of a sport but it works wonders for introducing a young dog to hunting. What i like about it is you can stop the hunt at anypoint in time to reinforce something for the dog without messing up the hunt.

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:33 am

Thats kind of how I use the upland bird preserves. They are great for training for hunting because you know there are birds out there but not exactly where.
gsphunter
hunter

Re: What about pen raising duck's

Postby Admin2 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 pm

duckdog wrote:What would happen if people were to raise duck's and when they are ready to go turn them loose in the wild. Would they make it, and if they did would they breed, migrate, do all the duck thing's. .... Let's here some input about what you people think, if it would work what a way to boost the population!!!

I think this makes it quite clear--he is and was not talking about game preserve situation, but a way to boost the population of wild ducks. This is illegal according to the USFWS.

Admin2
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:33 pm

i understand what you mean, i just don't see why they make it illegal. I mean if i wanted to spend my own money raising ducks to release them for anyone to shoot i should be able to. a wild duck is a wild duck no matter if it was pe raised or not. JMO

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Not at all is it the same. It has to do with genetics and environment of raising the wild ducks as tame ones, they are used to people and not predator wise of anything. Some sport that is shooting pet ducks :rolleyes:

For all I care--I'd be very happy if ALL game farms where they released tame birds ceased to exist! I have been of game farm pheasant hunts, what a crock! It is great for training a new pup, otherwise not at all the same as hunting wild birds. Baiting for big Game is same, dumping corn so a deer walks up and you shoot it---oh yeah real sportsmanlike :rolleyes: That is why baiting is illegal for waterfowl! Except that Big Game is governed by state laws being they mare not migratory. ANd thus each state is diferent. MN it is illegal to bait for Deer, but Bear it is OK.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby speckslayer » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:17 am

makes since . never thought of it that way

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:58 am

The best thing you can do as an individual is to build hen houses and nesting boxes and put them out. that will help boost duck numbers better than any other thing you can do as an individual. Then if you don't already belong to one join a conservation minded hunters group. :salude:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:47 pm

really wish i lived somewhere that i could put up nesting structures but being from louisiana theres not much demand for it. i have put up 13 wood duck boxes for the resident wood ducks here and they have all been used for the last year. going to put a few more up this year. also i support both du and delta.

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:58 pm

admin2 wrote:It is against Federal law to release pen raised migratory birds.

Admin2,

Don't be to sure of that.

SC, I'm Sure can give more information on this link then I can!

http://www.scwa.org/main_mallards.html

They Buy Wild Strain Mallards and band and then raise and release them.

Maybe SC can Shed some light onto the law that the USFWS has that this can be done.

Pretty much what I have been told by the PGC here in PA, If you Buy Mallards Legally and raise them, you can do pretty much with them as you want! Killing them and eating them, Using for Dog Training, Letting them Loose, keeping them for Pets.....................

I am not sure, But I seem to remember also, reading someplace Mallards are Exempt from the USFWS law.

Like I said, Hopefully SC sees this and can shed some light on it.
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:48 am

Ok the problem with this subject is people get confused with certain waterfowl or migratory birds and the rules and regulations in each state on top of what Federal Law wants.

I get asked this alot (imagine that) at work and I am not even DNR, went to college for it but ended up in the Sheriffs office.

Anyway, the ruling on Mallards is you don’t need a permit to keep on your property or release them in any shape or form. If you are arganizations for the mass production or such of them there is certain guidlines you must follow as far a makrking the bird. ex. toe clipings, clip wings and bands

Now everything else is different as geese, pintail and woodies go. You have to have a permit to raise and sell mostly all other types of birds.

This is the way it has been explained to me and from what I have read over time. And I called the women in charge of permits who confirmed this for me.

As for any specifics on these birds and what the USFWS requires I don’t know them all (i got enough regulations to remember as it is) But I have called the head agent in charge with them in Charleston, SC and she will be sending me all this info shortly.

Hope this helps, I always thought it was more complicated than it is but certain species its not. Most states have release programs just as my state with SCWA they raise them, band them at 6-8 weeks and release.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology