Duck Hunting Forum banner

Ideas for a dynamite duck marsh.

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  duckhnter4life 
#1 ·
My family has a 48 acre marsh just off a big river. Does anybody have any ideas for the best thing to plant in there and how do I do it. It has a pond on it that holds water all year long and Im really not set up yet to manage water levels. I am going to plant some corn on some of the higher ground, but Im not sure what to do with the rest of it.

#3 ·
Contacting DU or your state conservation department are good ideas. Millet grows good in wet conditions, and there are a variety of natural vegetation, such as smartweed, widgeon grass, foxtail, and others that provide seed and food, especially in the early part of duck season.

#5 ·
Indy, Does the land slope gently or is it a bottom? Some type of dike system may be appropriate, water control structures and food are the keys to any good management project. DU has a great site just for waterfowl conservation projects developed by private individuals. A 48 acre project is large enough to hold birds all season if flooded in stages. Flood the whole thing at once and every bird around will pick it clean in three weeks or less. Contact your local game biologist they can give you the best advice for your specific area. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.